How do I break my 28 month old (2 years and 3 and half month old) daughter for her baby bottle?

My two year old will not take a nap or sleep at night without her bottle. I have tried all the sippy cups that have nipple like tops. She loves her milk and the doctors tell me to wait and she will stop on her own. My first daughter was broke from a baby bottle at just 7 months she put it down, but my second will not. How can I get her off the bottle? I have taken it and told her that she is a big girl and big girls drink from sippy cups and all she does is cry for it nonstop so I gave in. Help me PLEASE!!!

tshortt

Asked by tshortt at 9:08 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• don't give in, let her cry it out... i'd offer a sippy cup but not a bottle... atleast she has an option to use the cup
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Throw them all away and only offer a sippy cup... it's pretty simple.
    Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:45 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It isn't hard if you don't make it hard. Take it from a mom of three (and yes I let my daughter have a bottle when she was 2 also), just get rid of them. Take her to the store with you, pick out some nice cups, some with soft lids and some with hard lids. At nappy time, if she wants a cup she can but she usually wont' fall asleep with it in her mouth, my son keeps it in his hand sometimes. She will be mad for a day but not much more than that. Good luck!
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 9:48 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• If I were you, I would let the kid have the bottle. My son had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up in December; he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:54 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My son just got rid of his 2 days ago. He actually lost it somewhere in the house, I couldn't find it anywhere so I just told him that they don't make bottles anymore and the one he lost was the last one made. Since he lost it he's cried for awhile when I put him down for a nap or at bedtime but he finally falls asleep with his sippy. Lastnight was a horrible night though, he had a sippy that has a fast valve on it and he threw up all over my bed. Just a warning since she's use to the speed of the nipple you might want to go with a slow flow sippy at naps and bed time.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 9:55 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Have her trash the bottles herself, and don't go back. Ever. Every time you give in, she gets a little better at keeping that bottle longer. This is a health and safety issue. Going to bed with a bottle is going to be devistating to her teeth. Even her adult teeth that are forming even now. You wouldn't let her eat candy all day just because she wanted it, because it is a health issue, just like going to sleep with a bottle is. TAKE IT AWAY!
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 10:26 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• If you want them gone just take them away. Do not give in when she cries for it. Are you going to give in when she cries for a car or those cool new jeans that EVERYONE has but are $500.

Give her some kind of other "comfort" item if you feel badly about it, try to get him to take a blanket or a pillow or something else.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:31 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I would just take it away- plain and simple. The longer you allow her to use it as a paifier the harder the habit will be to break. She will continue to use it as long as you let her and you don't want her to still be using it at age 5. it will be rough for a few nights, but if you are consistent she will see that she can sleep without it.
    Girlymommy

Answer by Girlymommy at 10:56 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• GET RID OF THEM IF THERE NOT THERE THEN SHE CANT USE THEM! MY DD WAS 18 MONTH AND THE BOTTLE WAS HER ONLY COMFORT ITEM, SO IT WAS HARD TO GET HER OFF,SO WE TOOK THEM ALL AWAY AND EVENTUALLY SHE HAD TO USE THEM!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• You are rotting out her teeth. It does not matter that she loves her milk. You will not enjoy watching a dentist sedate your child so he can pull a bunch of her teeth.

Two choices:
    Switch to water only and don't worry about it.
    OR
    Throw them out. You can do it in a couple of nice ways: bottle fairy, plant a "bottle" tree, "mail" them to a new baby, or even have a throwing the bottles out party where she throws them in the trash.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:08 PM on Apr. 16, 2009