What to do with my crying 7 year old?

My 7 year old son has been crying over everything for the past 3 to 4 years... Everytime he thinks he is slighted or believes someone is yelling or is told no, he cries. At my friend's house we play board games, if he feels like he is losing, he cries. I am at my wit's end and don't know how to handle this anymore. Being strict, being loving, trying to ignore, nothing works. I am losing my mind. I am a mother of four, and my other's never never acted like this...I do remember being a sensitive child and was later diagnosed bipolar, could this be a precursor to bipolarism? PLEASE , any information would be helpful!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet, he's only 7. He could be just a sensitive kid, best you can do is to teach him coping skills, and keep doing what you are doing. My friends son is like that, he gets upset easily, they handle it firm but not in a way that is degrading to him. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:34 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My son does that, he's 8. He's just very sensitive. Part of what you need to do is to teach him, gently, that not everything that happens is personal. For example, losing at a board game: Next time you lose, make it seem like no big deal. I'm sure you don't anyway, but make a point of how it's not a big deal. "Oh, I lost. Oh, well. I'm going to get some water. Anyone else thirsty?" If you lose twice in a row: "Lost again. Well, maybe next time I'll win." Say it in a real upbeat kind of way. Sometimes really sensitive kids take things personally when they really aren't. They get this idea that they lose at the game b/c they aren't good at it, or something.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:24 AM on Apr. 16, 2009