Infant seat forward facing?

My cousin has a daughter a couple months younger than my son so she's almost 14 months. The problem is that they still have her in an infant seat and they're forward facing her in it. When she was about 6 months they were forward facing her until I told them about internal decapitation, then they decided to turn her rear-facing again. My aunt (cousins mom) has a sports car and I guess when she's too lazy to climb into the back seat she puts her in the front seat forward facing in her infant seat. I haven't gotten a chance to see if she's too big for her seat yet because they usually take her out of it before I get into the room. Shouldn't they get a convertable seat? I didn't think infant seats were allowed to be turned forward. I know they don't have a lot of money to spend on a carseat but I just went and bought a new one for a second car for like $35. I just wanted to know if I should say something about her not being safe

bassyentihw

Asked by bassyentihw at 9:22 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Infant seat can't face forward and at 14 month I would think she's be too BIG for an infant seat! Maybe you can loan them your spare until they can get a new one! How scary!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• no an infant seat should never be forward facing ,it's not made for that. I would definitnely say something about her saftey. Children should rear face until 35 lbs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I just read yesterday that the AAP recommends having children in rear facing car seats until they are 2 or 3, but you can put them on front facing seats at 1 year and 20 pounds. They are too big for an infant seat when their head is less than 1 inch from the top of the seat. But the fact that they are putting her forward facing is really dangerous and I would definitely say something. A child's life could potentially be in danger.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Call CPS they sound like idiots who shouldn't have a baby anyways. And no infant carriers shouldn't be forward facing.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:45 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I hope that baby is ok! Please keep checking on her and give them whatever info you can find! She could get hurt!
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 9:49 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Buy them a gift at the thrift store for about 10 dollars and get that child out of that seat....Good grief...you are probably going to have to watch out for that kid all her life, lol....
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:50 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I had a friend who did the same stupid this. I yelled her out that she needed to spend the $35 to get a damn convertible because infant seats are not meant to be forward facing.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:53 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• From your discription it sounds like they are grossly misusing their seat. There are some infant seats out there that could still fit a 14 month old but they all have to be rear facing. My DD fit in her Graco Safeseat until she was 2 1/2 years old it goes up to 32 lbs and 30 inches or 30lbs and 32 inches I always get that mixed up. The seat is outgrown by height when their head comes within 1 inch of the top of the seat. My DD outgrew her seat by height not weight.

I agree for that child's sake you should say something if they are turning it around there is no way they can safely do that.
    Aemelia

Answer by Aemelia at 10:04 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• A child seat should NEVER EVER be facing forward.

As long as the child is 1 year and 20 pounds, it is LEGAL for her to be forward facing, but not advisible.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:19 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• The "carrier" carseats are not meant to be forward facing.

Not all of them use the "one inch above the head" rule, so follow the recommendations of the manufacturer of the carrier.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:52 AM on Apr. 16, 2009