Portible Potty to Big Potty?

My dd is 2.5 & 3wks ago she started potty training in the little portible kiddie potty, she is doing GREAT & Id like to get her to go in the toilet now. Does anyone have an suggestions on how they made the transition with their child?
This morning I put her Portible up & put a stepping stool beside the big toilet for her, she got on & sat for a minute but didnt go & is saying she wants her potty.

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 10:07 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if she seems ready to try out the big potty with a kiddie seat, when she has to go potty, see if she goes! i have no experience with this yet, but it seems self explanitory for me to try every now and then. one day out of nowhere she might have to go potty and goes in the big girl potty, not the portable potty! my MIL got my son an adorable truck portable potty with a removable seat for the big potty. once he gets the hang of it, goes in it and all, I'll progressively have him try out the big potty, and even if he doesnt go, I'll try and try again! but as the other PP wrote, of course dont push it. at least she sat on the potty! thats great! major step!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I wouldnt push it, she will come around to it on her own. I dont see any reason for rushing it.

We are remodeling our hall bathroom right now, so it is torn to bits. lol And my dd is 3.5 and using her potty b/c of lack of potties. LOL
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:08 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Let her make the choice but have it ready. Have you tried the toilet seats for toddlers that go over your seat to make it smaller so she doesn't feel like she will fall in? She might be scared she will fall in because of the size of a regular toilet seat.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:12 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• yeah, I didnt think of that, those smaller seats that go on big pottys are GREAT. let her pick one out, they have all different kinds, Sesame street, blues clues, ect.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:13 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Take the seat off of her little potty, and put it on the big potty. It will be the seat she recognizes, and is more comfortable with.

For the next kid, or other people reading for Ideas, I was a 2s and 3s teacher for 6 years, led 120+ kids and thier parents through potty training, as well as surviving pt with my own kid. The best thing to do is to use the big potty with a smaller seat on it from the start. The transition from diapers to a little potty is hard enough, but then once that is done, there is another unessesary stressful transition from little potty to the big one. PT is stressful enough for a child, they don't need to master it just for Mommy and Daddy to pull the carpet from under thier feet and change the method.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 10:22 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Do you have a ring to put on the big potty or are you just having her sit on the adult one? My daughter had no trouble with the ring.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:36 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Well she did great that day & it was alot easier than i thought. she ask where her potty was twice & when she left with MIL for the day she wondered where her potty was so they could take it with them. No accidents or anything..
    And she hasnt wore a diaper at all in 3 days! !
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2009