How old is old enough for a front facing car seat

My son is 7m old and already weights 23lbs. I found a carseat that has great reviews but is front facing, is he still to little. It has a 5 point harness also.

JackieB33

Asked by JackieB33 at 10:07 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I turned mine all around at 12 months...but there's lots of people that wait until 2 years. I had bigger babies too...my daughter was 20 pounds when she was 6 months old, lol.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:08 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• 1 year is usually the law in most states. I would contact your local sheriffs office and they can tell you. The weight really doesn't matter unless its an infant seat, then you do a rear facing convertible seat that will go forward facing at 1 year. Our daughter is 7 months, 28 inches long and almost 20 lbs and she is rear facing in a convertible seat that is a 5 point harness.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• 2 years mama. thats what the american academy of pediatrics recommends. His neck isnt strong enough until then. If you were to wreck, he could become internally decapitated. Leave him Rear facing until 2 and or 35lbs. Do it until he reaches the rear facing maximum on his car seat. With my first DD no one told me this stuff. I forward faced her on her first bday. I wish I wouldve known all this new information. I wish someone would've straight up told me. I look back and thank god for everytime I put her in her car seat that I didnt wreck. She is 4 now, and still in a 5pt harness. Look up extended rear facing.
    If you choose to forward face early regardless of all the new information about the safety, or unsafety of it, then the law states 1yr AND 20lbs.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:12 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Most laws say that they baby needs to be 20lbs and/or 1 year. BUT i will be honest my son is sooo tall that he was front facing at 8 months. The reason they say to wait till a year is b/c of there little necks, if you were to get in a wreck(heaven forbid) and they were facing forward it could snap there necks. so if you do just be very cautious
    Quintensmom

Answer by Quintensmom at 10:12 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Britax makes great convertable car seats. The First Years True Fit is a great car seat that is alot less expensive than a britax. Britax is around $200-300 and the True fit is around $180.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:14 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• 1 year AND 20 pounds. The longer the better, its safer!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I turned the car sets around when my kids legs were too long for them to comfortably sit in the seat.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 10:16 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Also, children dont get too tall to rear face. If babys legs touch the seat, they are fine. And in the event you are in a wreck, yes the legs may be at risk to break.... but thats better than the neck right?? And its not uncomfortable for them to ride with their legs bent.... have you ever seen some of the funky positions kids sit in?? They are flexible.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• No earlyer than 1yr. :)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 10:28 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Twelve months is the general guideline. In some states it is the law.

Children can get too tall to rear face. If they are above the height limits of the rear facing carseat, they are too damn tall to be rear facing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Apr. 16, 2009