• In the Spotlight:

Angel... or devil dog?

I have an australian shepherd named Angel.. She is very loyal to me..as for the rest of my family.. she could care less. She is good with my son and lets him love and "waller" (sorry.. country word I know) all over her. I watch kids, and she is sweet with them she does try to "herd" them on occasion..but my husband! she growls and gets all bent out of shape whenever he hugs me or gets around 2 feet away from me.(really anyone who gets too close to me makes her uneasy) she does have issues. her previous owner rescued her and she had been beaten pretty bad.. she got extremely attached to her new owner.. who then decided she no longer wanted a dog.. She is sweet and I love her so much.. but DH calls her devil dog because she refuses to let him around me. we have had her almost 2 years and still hasnt got any better.. any suggestions or do we just have to live with her jelousy? I wont get rid of her. she couldnt handle it.

Tzutchka

Asked by Tzutchka at 10:14 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Pets

• You will have to teach your dog to respect your dh by a training method called dececitive her. Your hubby needs to have an attitude toward the dog that helps her to accept him. It starts with you. Try and find a traianer in your area that can come to your place and help you . It's like , teaching you how to train her. Even if she was abusesd you still know she may have issues and these need to be addressed. IMO I would seek help and it can be done. In your area or ask your vet to refrerr if they know someone. It will be benifical for all concerned. I hope you succeed in your seach for help. I have no idea where you are to referr, but the internet may help you out. or the site on cafe mom for dog training mom's may be able to also. Good luck and I wish you all happy hunting.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:42 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• ceasar milan did an aust..cattle dog yesterday...i think your dog is posessive of you.i have a german shepherd and i think if i let her she would be the same way.she also herds.interesting.they are considered cattle dogs.i think ceasar did the taking the dog for a walk thing.but this dog was really phsyco..i think your husband just has face up to the dog and be firm and show him whos boss....
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 1:19 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• if your not disciplining the dog when she does it then she won't stop. what you do is touch her or in a loud noise in her direction to stop. it's best to touch her around the neck with your hand or with your foot between her rib cage and hind quarters. this will block her brain from progressing to that state of mind but you must react right when you see her start to do it. you will have to learn to watch what her signs are. do this when she tries to get between you. do it every time and before she gets to that state. if you are good enough at reading your dog you will be able to correct her before it starts to enter her mind. i would bring the dog to him and have him walk her. after awhile she will like him. watch ceaser milan on natgeo tv
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• IF SHE'S FULL GROWN GET A 3MONTH OLD PUPPY N SHE WILL PAY MORE ATTENTION ON THE PUPPY SHE WILL TRY TO TEACH HIM/HER FEW THINGS LIKE IF SHE WAS THE MOMMY..

WELL IT HELP ME WITH MY PITBULL HE IGNORES ME NOW LOL NOW IM THE JELOUS ONE!
    ALEENAzMOMMY09

Answer by ALEENAzMOMMY09 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• WAIT... BUT SUMTIMES THEY MIGHT GET JELOUS OVER THE PUPPY N TRY TO HURT IT!
    ALEENAzMOMMY09