• In the Spotlight:

Can I give my 7-week old cereal in his formula?

I've heard that some people put cereal in their baby's bottle at night to make them sleep longer with a full tummy? Is this safe? Can I start now? Will it hurt his stomach?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 7 weeks is way too early for that.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 10:28 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It's a SIDS risk, amoung many other reasons to NEVER do it.

Other reasons not to are given here -- http://baby.families.com/blog/5-reasons-not-to-put-cereal-in-your-babys-bottle

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 10:30 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• too early for solids! and as my son neared 6 months I tried to solids before bedtime and it didnt make a difference in his sleeping pattern. at the young age of 7 weeks, the body cannot digest anything other than formula or breastmilk.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:35 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I gave my girls cereal in their bottle of breastmilk because they had reflux but it didn't make them sleep any longer. They are a year old now and still drink their bottles w/ cereal in them...And it's not a sids risk.......the Doctors at Childrens Hospital in Pittsburg have just about all parents w/ reflux babies do it and if it wasn't safe they wouldn;t recommend it them.
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 10:40 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• No it's not safe unless under the recommendation of a pediatrician for medical reasons.

It will not make him sleep longer. Your baby will sleep when he wants or needs to sleep, he will eat (he SHOULD eat) when he wants to eat. He should eat as much as he wants to eat.

They human body needs so many calories per day to grow, to develop and to survive. Give him cereal and you're taking some of those calories away. Sure it will fill his tummy for a bit. But as soon as that's digested, he's going to be hungrier because he had fewer calories at the previous feeding.

Cereal is meant to be eaten with a bowl and spoon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• If you fill his tummy up with cereal it isn't going to make him sleep any longer. His stomach is so small whether it is filled with milk or with cereal he will probably need to eat again before morning. Also he shouldn't be having the solids. It increases his risk for allergies and gives him empty calories. It's also a choking hazard and a sids risk. For more information
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-sleep.html
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 10:58 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• nope its a choking hazard. Never put cereal in a bottle. Cereal is just empty calories.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• No you shouldn't. The only reason a baby should ever have cereal added is for reflux with the doctors OK.
    And cereal at night doesn't help them sleep... they will do that when they are ready.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:55 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't give your baby cereal just yet. Your baby wouldn't be able to digest it.
    motherofone1990

Answer by motherofone1990 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Read this article before you do: Baby Bottles and Cereal http://www.drgreene.com/21_861.html

Research shows it will NOT make baby sleep longer!! The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends against adding cereal to the bottle. You will find lots of moms who gave baby ceral in the bottle (for reflux, or because they wanted to) and their baby is now "fine". Just because their baby did not have a negative reaction does not mean that your baby won't.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2009