• In the Spotlight:

Can I give my 3 week old baby 3 1/2 ounces of formula-or is it to much?

I recently went from similac to enfamil as my daughter seemed to have tummy issues from it. She is 3 weeks old & was eating 3 ounces.My doctor said because her tummy is the size of a walnut, she should not be eating more than 3 ounces until she is well over a month & a half. She seems to want to eat more now that her formula has changed & I am tempted to giver her 3 1/2 regardless because she is now requesting to eat every 2 1/2 hours.What to do? Thank you

allymommy324

Asked by allymommy324 at 10:36 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son is 1 month old and eats between 3-4 oz every 3-4 hours. I thought we were feeding him too much, but his little tummy is fine, and he is healthy and thriving. I agree with "feed on demand" as long as she isnt spitting the extra formula up, i think it's fine.
    robbinsme

Answer by robbinsme at 4:36 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Feed her when she's hungry..
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 10:43 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• She should be eating as much as she wants, as often as she wants! Feed on demand! The doctor can give you guidelines, but not all babies know to follow the guidelines! They'd rather go by when they're hungry and when they feel full.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Is she spitting up? My dd was taking 3 -3.5 oz around 3 or 4 weeks. If their tummy can handle it, then it's probably OK. But if you notice increased spit up, or gass pains, try feeding less, more often.
    Anonymous

• thats alot. My son was breastfed so idk much about formula other than it stinks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• if your baby is requiring more food i'd try it if it does hurt her try switching formulus because if shes staying hungry the formula is not satisfying her.
    kathy01

Answer by kathy01 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My baby is three weeks old and has been eating four ounces since he was at least two and a half weeks old. I think its fine. If she's hungry I would increase her formula. Sometimes when you switch the formula, one might be richer than the other. But thats just my opinion.
    CarleeDalene

Answer by CarleeDalene at 11:28 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Anonymous is so helpful.. gotta love those high and mighty women who like to make people feel bad for FF...

Like one of the other posters said.. if the baby is not spitting up and is hungry enough to eat that much, then it's fine. You can't tell a baby not to be hungry and none of us can look into those baby eyes and resist giving them what they want anyway.. at least until they get a little older ;)
    georgeswife5014

Answer by georgeswife5014 at 11:40 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I would stick with 3 oz and feed her more often. She should be eating every 2-3 hours at her age so wanting to eat every 2.5 is perfect.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:53 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I agree with "feed on demand". She knows how hungry she is.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:30 PM on Apr. 16, 2009