About feeding my 5 weeks old baby

My baby usualy take in 5oz of formula every 3 hours but now he seems to take in only 3.5 oz every 2 hours. Is that normal and how can I train him to feeding him less since I read the book and it said that he should be feed 5-7 times a days. My baby still need to be feed 10-12 times a days . Thanks in advance .

hungluvphuong

Asked by hungluvphuong at 10:36 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When your baby is hungry feed him and throw out the book!!1
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 10:42 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Your baby can't read, so he hasn't read the book that says what he "should" be eating.

Feed on demand. Period. End of discussion. Unless recommended otherwise by the pediatrician for a medical reason, that is.

Stop reading and rely on your mother instinct and rely on your son to tell you what he needs, when he needs it. He knows when he's hungry, he knows when he's full...not some stupid book.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• babies dont go by the book! I've learned that a lot. if this is your baby's new feeding pattern, just go with it! eating less more often could be a sign of a growth spurt as well.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:48 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I did not know there was a book that tell you thungs like that. I know with my 2nd child she was eatting every 30 mins and with my last one was every hour and I did not bottle feed.

Let the book go and do what you think is right for him. ( you should know cause that is your baby) He will let you know what he want
    Mz.PhatPhat

Answer by Mz.PhatPhat at 10:57 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• my son is breastfed and ate every 90 mins
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Everyone will try and tell you diffrent things...even books say diffrent stuff...what I did was feed my baby when he was hungry. Thats what my dr told me also. He is growing so much, its prob. better for him to eat as much as he wants to. But yet again my sun is like in the 95% tile of his weight group...:D so who really knows.
    JackieB33

Answer by JackieB33 at 11:29 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• it's normal for a baby to eat every 2-3 hours... sometimes more! so it's nothing to worry about.
    The eating 5-7 times/day is the average and the minimum. A baby can eat more often if they need to.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:50 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My baby is breastfed and eats every 2hours during the day. She is 4months. THat means she eats about 7-9x a day. Its fine. Babies know when they want to eat. As long as he is growing well and not losing weight dont stop him from eating! I still read the book but I take it all with a grain of salt because I know that every baby is different and any number like that is subjective. I just read the book to know what to kinda expect (just like it says- What to EXPECT) and my baby can be so different that the book has me expecting one thing and getting another. In fact, WHY do I read the book? (open trash, insert book)
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 12:59 PM on Apr. 16, 2009