Christians :What is salvation? (Non-Christians welcome to read and comment, but please be respectful)

Why, my sisters in Christ, are we arguing amongst ourselves over who's right and who's wrong? Is that how Christ wants his people to act? Fighting against each other over small details that mean nothing?

Does my salvation rely on the fact that I love and accept the Lord Jesus Christ and I accept the blood he shed on the cross as atonement for my sins?

Or does it rely on weather or not I believe in the bible exactly word for word?

Does it rely on sinless nature? Or accepting that sin is a way of life in all human nature, and accepting Christ's salvation for those sins?

I have been told, more than once, that I'm not really a Christian - that I can't possibly be b/c of my "unorthodox" beliefs. But I ask, what defines a Christian?

I love Jesus. I worship Him every day of my life. I hold tightly to His hand and His mercy and His grace on a daily basis. I relinquish myself fully to Him.

I feel that I need to

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• (cont . . .)

. . . ask for atonement from you, my sisters. I feel that I am the beginning of this particular argument, and I didn't want us to fight among ourselves. We worship the same God, we love the same Christ. Why try to prove each other wrong just to prove each other wrong? This is not Christ-like.

I blamed and pointed my finger and made accusations upon my sisters - I called you "hypocritical" and told you you were passing judgment, when I in actuality was doing the same thing to all of you. And I'm sorry for that.

Salvation is about Jesus and His love and grace and mercy, not about the little things that made the church separate to begin with.

I love you all, my sisters in Christ.
    Peace and God bless.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 10:54 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Wonderful post, and I agree with you completely!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I agree, so much misunderstanding on the part of Christians and non-Christians alike.

Being a Christin is and only is: Believing in the LORD JESUS CHRIST.

Anything else is up for debate.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:09 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Jennijune_21: I agree with you that as Christians we should not be 'arguing" with each other especially in a public forum. However, I do believe if someone responds to a question that is against what the bible says or a question about sin and that Christian is responding in error (according to the bible and not personal opinion) according to the bible we are to correct that Christian. Unfortunately when correcting sometimes or often times the responses come back harsh and without love.. we are to correct gently and in love... But the bickering etc.. no that is not showing the love of Christ to those who do not believe in Him.

2 Tim. 3:16
    James 5:19-20

God bless
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 11:15 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Thank you for the verses, bonn777. I looked them up and agree 100%.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• As you know, I'm not Christian. I was raised in a house where there was ONE way... And only ONE way... And to step off that path in any original thought meant damnation... But, I don't feel there is one path. IF the Christian God is actually the only one, then I can't imagine he would really care who or how you choose to worship or believe... I think it's all about your actions and personal heart condition... I have known so many people of many different religions and no matter what religion they were it was their actions that made who they were. The gods see who we are, and what we do, beliefs are mental - but your heart is something spiritual... No matter who your god(dess) is they know who you are inside... And in the end, that's what matters... That's why there are so many religions based on the same principal of "harm none". Because at there core all religions are the same.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:41 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Beautifully said, Sabrina!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:47 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• In order to have "salvation," Romans 10:9 says, "that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. The Bible says in Phil 2:12.....to "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. Sinless nature?...Romans 3:23 says "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" But this is where grace comes in at. I personally do not see why you would not be a Christian. It is not for others to judge you. This is something between you and God. Don't let others tell you that you are not.     

Bonn777, I agree completely!

zachsmom900

Answer by zachsmom900 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Well, I have very unorthodox christian beliefs. I know that sorta sounds like an oxymoron but for me its not. What I believe fundamentally about God is really the same as most christians, but the way its lived out in my life is quite different. I cant stand most churches and when we look for a church (we will be moving soon) we look for one thats going to stand out, be radical and possibly be accused of being a cult. I don't want fakeness anymore and I m tired of religious rituals and rules. God is a god of restoration healing and deliverance and he wants all of us for sure but hes patient with us as we learn and hes NOT MAD AT ME. SO many people feel like God is just up there striking us all down with condemnation and fear and the threat of hell to get us to do what he wants. Thats so not true. I wish that everyone could just KNOW for one minute the true nature of God and then decide if they wanted to walk away from him.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 4:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• it's our actions
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 4:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2009