Why do so many Christians say they don't have anything to lode if they are wrong about Christianity? And ins't it a bit sacrilegious in nature?

In other words, you are saying you are scared into being a Christian or better safe than sorry when it comes to your religion. Isn't this a kind of blasphemous way of thinking? You are supposed to be committed with all your heart and accept Christ, but at the same time admit you are playing it safe. As a Christian, the 'better safe than sorry' thought never ever crossed my mind. I accepted the truth in full so this is why I ask. Not to be mean, it TRULY makes no sense to me.

Just to add, I have seen statements like this used many many many times on this sight. So I am not making it up.

hannahwill

Asked by hannahwill at 10:50 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am 100% devoted to my Christian faith, yet I also believe that if it turns out I was wrong I have lost nothing - in fact, I feel I still have gained so much.
    I understand what you're saying, though, about people being scared into the faith, and I don't agree with that way of witnessing.
    I am completely against this way of reaching people. The God I believe in wouldn't want people to come to Him out of fear. I believe He wants a loving relationship with all of us, so to use hell as a way of scaring or manipulating people into belief, IMO, is a shameful thing indeed. The whole point of our message is one of love, one of joy. If we were to just act with the love and compassion He expects of us, to share His love with people and to let THAT be our testament to Him, like we're supposed to....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:58 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I meant lose of course.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 10:51 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• But to try to use fear? I believe it takes away from the whole point, that it gives people the wrong impression, the wrong focus. Fear isn't what this is about, it isn't what we should be out there "plugging". We're supposed to be spreading the good news, and I don't see how fear and threats fit into that, how this whole concept of hell and punishment and torment fits in at all with that of a loving, compassionate God...
    bandgeek521

• And it really kills me that this hell thing is something that pushes more people away than it does to bring them closer. So many people have had hell shoved down their throats, have been threatened with flames, that this is the only way they know how to see Christians/Christianity. They don't even know, can't even understand, that this is not what Christianity is about, that there are Christians who don't even believe in hell, as you all know I don't. This kind of negativity is something that is a major hindrance to what should be - to spreading of love and joy to all people. This was never how our faith was supposed to be portrayed, never the way we were supposed to witness to others.

Our testament is supposed to be one of love, of joy, of the good news that God loves us and wants to have a relationship with us, and I don't see how threatening people with torment and agony is compatible with this message.
    bandgeek521

• Not to mention that I believe God wants us to come to Him because we want to, of our own choice, with pure reasons, and not because we were manipulated or scared into it. If He really wanted us to not have a real choice, if He didn't care whether or not we were actually making the conscious choice to come to Him because we really WANT to, He could have just created us without the ability to choose whether or not we want to have a relationship with Him, could have taken away our free will entirely and just programmed us to love Him unconditionally and automatically. But He didn't, and I believe that tells us something...
    bandgeek521

• ITA Bandgeek521.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:06 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I agree with bandgeek.

For me, it's not about scare tactics (I don't believe in half of them anyway). It's about my relationship with Christ. I can't explain the feeling of love and peace I get when I sing to Him, or pray to Him, or read my bible . . . It's like he's there patting me on the shoulder saying "I love you too". And that's just it right there - It's about love. Nothing else. He loved me enough to die for me. And I love him for that sacrifice. Everything else is just relative.

If I die tomorrow and found that there was no heaven, no Christ, no God . . . I would be disappointed, yes. I think those that say "Well, if there isn't, than I have nothing to lose" are trying to get their point across simply and without a lot of explanation.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I agree Jennijune. I also understand what you are saying. But some are not saying something quick and simple of " I have nothing to lose" and they give a long explanation of how they can't go to 'hell' but and atheist can etc. It is disheartening to hear it for me.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:17 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• hannahwill

Me too.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Many christians are not discipled correctly and are not taught to read the Word of God and study it for themselves. Some think it is a game others think oh I got my ticket to heaven so I can still be the way I am and still get in. Sad ! Christianity is a commitment. to a relationship with Jesus Christ and this is what is not taught. Grace is not taught correctly in the church either. Many pick and choose to believe what they want to believe in the bible and toss the rest away.
    It is true the way is narrow and only few find it. Only a few are truly committed to follow Jesus with all their heart mind and soul. God is not after lukewarm hearts He loves all but delights in those who are thirsty and hungry for more of Him in their lives.
    See not believing in hell is once again picking what to believe and not to believe in the Word of God as a whole and that is wrong. Satan will try so hard to get people not to cont....
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:51 AM on Apr. 16, 2009