How do I handle my 3 year old better?

Lately, my 3 year old daughter (will be 4 in October) has developed a major attitude problem. She will flat out tell me "no" or "I can't" when she's supposed to be doing something, she will hardly do anything I ask or stop when I tell her to. I'm at a loss for what to do. We also have a 2 year old son, so "Monkey see, Monkey do". It's making Mommy's days and nights extremely long.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You have to stick to your guns and be consistent with discipline. You have to let her know who's the parent here. Right now, she's ruling the roost, and you have to nip that in the bud. Be consistent, don't back down.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I agree with Bethsunshine. You need to step up and take charge. When my almost four year old gets out of line, I quickly take her aside, get down to her eye level and firmly tell her what she did wrong and what the consequence is. This is usually preceeded by a talk letting her know what the rules of the family are and what will happen if they are not obeyed. The first few days might be a bit difficult but if you stick to your guns she will learn that you are in charge. But when she follows the rules make sure you also take the time to praise her. Good luck!
    CGMom73

Answer by CGMom73 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I agree you have to be consistent...it gets hard and you feel like caving in but it will pay off. There should be some consequences. We've had the same problem with obeying and are continuing to have problems with sassy talk. For the obeying we started giving tickets when we noticed her making good choices. We set a number and offerred a special treat (could be something simple like a special trip to the park). That really worked for us. For the sassy talk we use sassy sauce...vinegar (I've heard it's actually good for them).
    care-in

Answer by care-in at 8:05 PM on Jun. 20, 2008