Vaccinating your Children???

Okay...ever since I joined this site I have been introduced to a WHOLE new world. Lately I've been wondering about the vaccinating topic. I know some moms chose not to do it.

When I was growing up we had to have all our shots updated before we could go to school or daycare.

How does that work exactly??? Just curious...My son gets vaccinated because I thought there wasn't a choice.

Dayija

Asked by Dayija at 11:17 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• there are loop holes everywhere. You can say because of religion, they will ask what religion you are & you can say whatever you want. You can say I belong to samurai chica's church of god, & they have no right to discriminate. Very easy to do. I waited until my daughter was 4 before i vaccinated her.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:20 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• it depends on your state...most states require children to be vaccinated before attending school. and why wouldnt want your child to be vaccinated? because of autism? there is no evidence vaccination causes that.
    Chanel5nyc

Answer by Chanel5nyc at 11:33 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I have wondered that too. Like you, i never came across any one who did not vaccinate their child. But to each their own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I knew it wasn't a choice, but I made the choice to vaccinate. My son has had some that aren't even recommended.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:29 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I chose not to vaccinate, I plan to home school Olivia. Or put her in an optional school. You can sign waivers to get your kids into school unvaxed.
    The reason why I chose not to vaccinate Olivia is because there are serious risks to vaccinating just like there are risks to not vaccinating. I won't go into all of the details of my choice.
    I will say you will get tons of differing "opinions" on CafeMom. I urge you to do YOUR OWN research on this topic. Don't trust me or anyone else when it comes to the saftey of your child. So many mom's say its unsafe to vax and so many moms say it's unsafe not to. Untill you do all the reading and research you will never get any definite answers.
    rockstarmom2b

Answer by rockstarmom2b at 12:42 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• All states allow a religious exemption. Most allow a "I don't want to" objection. You'll need to get the proper form and present it to the school. Most school offices don't have the form, I'd search your state's website for info for your state.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• You absolutely have a choice. These are YOUR children, not the government's. Check with your state, they all have exemptions of some sort. Do lots and lots of research too. Make sure you're well informed with your decision. You might just be in the middle of it like me :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• There are exemptions in all states. There are only two that don't allow for religious or philosophical exemptions(VW and MS) but they do allow medical exemptions. We do not vax. My kids are homeschooled but if I wanted them to go to public school I would simply file for a religious exemption.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I don't' vax my kids ( I had a vax injury as a child). If we put them in Gov't/public school we will sign a wiever stating they aren't vaxed. If the school gets gov't funding they can not discriminate against you. there is a great group on here ( choosing not to vaccinate) that you can join. the ladies there are wonderful! some vax, some delay , some are selective and some don't vax at all! My biggest reason not to vax are the ingerdients, check out the CDC website, they have all the vaxes and their ingerdients. Good luck in whatever you decide
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 6:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2009