• In the Spotlight:

Is it better to deny Christianity and not yourself? OR the other way around??

My husband claims to be Christian. He doesn't attend church or anything and belives in things that most Christians don't. Like faries and such... But, he claims a christian faith because he says he is afraid not to be Christian. He's afraid to be wrong... I am Pagan, and proud of that. I don't have any problem not being Christian and hold no fear in the matter...

My question is, is it better to claim to be Christian out of fear or to just be honest and deny Christianity altogether?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:20 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• To thine own self be true.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:21 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I'd say that it's better to deny Christ than to "believe" out of fear - truth be told, if you're a Christian b/c you're "afraid", then IMO, you don't really believe in your heart.

He wants us to come to Him from our own free will, because we WANT to accept Him, NOT b/c we're "afraid".
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I have to agree with jennijune and beeky on this one. If you can't accept a relationship with Jesus out of love then Christianity is not for you.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:25 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• This kind of goes in line with another topic from yesterday I believe:

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/178724/what_do_you_all_get_out_of_this_verse

ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 11:25 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I agree with Beeky and jennijune.

DH would never admit his fear to NOT be Christian. He will always be Christian because of his upbringing. He also has a fear of standing up for himself against his family especially when it comes to religious stuff. That being said, It is way better to be yourself than to be something just because you think you have to be.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:28 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I think he has "the guilt."
    I don't know about any of you, but when I first turned away from Christianity, even though I felt a great sense of serenity with my newfound religion, I still felt scared and guilty for not being a Christian.
    It's all the fear tactics Christians drive into your brain. If you were raised that way, it's so hard getting over it.

Ultimately, what I think he's doing now is what was previously discussed (in another question) - sitting on the fence.
    Better to search yourself for what you believe than be confused, restrained and afraid the rest of your life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I have to agree with the first 3 ladies... you should not fear being in your faith/beliefs/religion ...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:30 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My DH actually said he was only Christian because he's to afraid to be wrong somewhere else...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:30 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Yep, Christians fear tactics. He's afraid of "Hell."

If there were a set god/goddess for Wicca and they threatened followers with eternal searing pain if they turned away, he'd probably be too afraid not to be a WIccan, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Fear is a powerful weapon that people tend to use in all manners to achieve their point of view and it doesn't always mean in religion..
    Living in Fear of something is so not right...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:38 AM on Apr. 16, 2009