What is with the eye gunk?

My nine month old baby woke up with so much eye gunk it would not open. It was watery all day and turned gunky if not wiped away. Is it a cold in his eye? an infection?

vsrillo

Asked by vsrillo at 11:36 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I get that with allergies!
    Sbahns

Answer by Sbahns at 11:37 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Could be pinkeye, my kids had it young like that. Get to the doctor. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Probably pink eye.
    Anonymous

• If it's something new I would bring him to the doctor to have it looked at. My son has had a clogged duct since birth... so his eye gets mattered shut on a regular basis and it's no big deal.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:45 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• most likely pink eye.
    Anonymous

• Could be a cold in his eye or just an infected duct. When my daughter had this at 2 months, the nurse told me on the phone how to massage the duct -- you take a warm, soft, damp cloth and start near the nose and slowly push it upward toward the corner of the eye with your finger. Every hour baby's awake. Then if it didn't get better in 24 hours they said to bring her in. We did end up bringing her in and she got an antibiotic ointment. I'd just call the doc, though.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My son got eye infections a lot when he was an infant because he had immature ducts.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I would say cold in eye or pink eye.
    Prican91181

Answer by Prican91181 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• If pink eye it is VERY contaigous.
    Prican91181

Answer by Prican91181 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I thought pink eye was a contact illness? None of my kids are in school, and we did not even go to playgroup this week. Does it just happen?
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 4:26 PM on Apr. 16, 2009