Should I keep my kids away from bad food, or talk to them about it?

I am going to be a mommy around November, and one of my big issues is keeping my kid healthy and in shape for, maybe ever. As he or she gets older should I not introduce them to soda and junk food? Should I give in moderation? I dont want my kid to look like me at my age.

MammaBella

Asked by MammaBella at 11:40 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• This is a great chance to change your own behavior so you can model proper eating habits. Yes, you can let them have sweets and junk. It's best to teach moderation since not letting them have any usually just makes the forbidden items that much more attractive.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:55 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• in moderation, teach them that it is ok to have a little but alot isn't good for you. i feel that if you don't give them anything "bad" at all than when they get older and can get it themselves or are at a friends house who has junk everywhere they are gonna gourge and get themselves sick
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:45 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Honestly, I didn't introduce bad stuff until mine was old enough to go to school and see others eating it. I never force him to finish a plate of food if he wasn't hungry. I show him the right way by eating right myself. He now is 13 and weighs only 76lbs. But, he is also very active and eats healthy. There is junk ion the house and he eats it in moderation because he chooses, not because I force it. I made the issue not a big deal. So, he has no issues. My mom always made me finish a whole plate and not get up until it was clean, and caused it to be a big deal and I am overweight.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:45 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I said I would never introduce my kids to soda. but i drink it and they see that. so what i do is i give them about 2 ounces of it and then fill their cups the rest of the way with water. and i drink diet and caffeine free drinks. so if you drink soda it would be a good idea to switch to at least diet for now until you get used to that. (that also helped me drop 20 lbs, just by switching to diet) diet pepsi is good that is what i drink.
    as far as junk food. you should try to arrange your diet so you are not eating as much junk food. it is going to be inevitable to get your child to not eat junk food. let's be realistic. of course feed your child a well balanced diet. for the first 4-6 months it is gonna be a all breastmilk/formula. after that starts foods. when you introduce foods (after cereal) should be veggies and then fruit. the nutritionist i took my babies to told me that whatever you start them with, they will develop
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:47 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• a taste for and will eat more of in the long run.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

• We do not keep it in the house, but when we go to say a birthday party my children can have it. My kids would actually prefer healthier choices and will often turn their noses up to stuff at parties.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:09 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Start when they are little and you wont have as many problems when they are older. I have 3 kids. My boys are 12 and 10 and my daughter is 4. When they start solid food (around 4-6 months), start by giving them the cereals, and then vegetables, THEN fruits. The pediatrician says veggies first because fruits are sweet and they will not like the veggies as much if they get fruit first. As they are getting into table foods, stay away from junk foods like macaroni and cheese and such. Give them whole grain pasta, whole grain breads. Juice in moderation (4 oz. daily is recommended). White milk instead of chocolate.When you cook, as they get older have them eat the same meals you do. Go to restaurants and let them order off the adult menu if they want (mine prefer grilled chicken to anything on the kids menus). My kids are not picky, they eat well because I raised them to. BTW they do get treats like any other kid occasionally.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:16 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I would like to add. 13 years ago, I didn't know about the whole give veggies before fruit thing. I wish I had. Having said that, I also never gave mine mac and cheese, chicken nuggets and Typical kid food either. He still hates french fries, pudding and alot of things other kids love. He does eat off the adult menu because he hates all the kids things. I still laugh because when he was little, he refused to eat a chicken nugget, he wondered where the bone was. And he wouldn't eat the apple unless it still had the peel. I guess he is scared of fake and processed food.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:55 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It isn't necessary to keep junk food away from a kid. It is all about moderation. I don't keep anything from my son, he can eat whatever he wants as long as it is in moderation. I know people that have refused to allow their kids to have any junk food, sugar or even bday cake, Once they started school and started getting tastes, they went crazy. My son has to be in the mood to want sweets, which is fine with me.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:16 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My daughter will eat whatever I eat. I have no plans to "shelter" her from junk food. I don't gorge on it, so she won't. We parents need to model proper eating, not shelter our kids from the "bad stuff"...

Proper eating is having a cookie or two instead of the whole bag, or having a glass of juice OR soda (both have sugar!!) instead of the whole jug...along those lines...
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:44 PM on Apr. 16, 2009