We sold our car. What do we do with the tag?

Didn't know what category to put this under, but we sold our car since my DH lost his job. My birthday is this weekend, so we were suppose to pay for new sticker for the tag. Since we don't own the car anymore, I don't want to have to pay that or get a ticket if we don't. What are we suppose to do with the tag?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• Well you suppose to transfer the tag into the name of the person you sold it to. So the tag is useless. Or you should turn it in to the DMV if there is no ins. on the car to avoid any late fees. Sorry for your loss and good luck in the future.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 11:52 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Thank you. We didn't transfer the tag over to the person we sold it to b/c they live in a different state.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Well turn it into the DMV to be on the safe side.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 11:56 AM on Apr. 16, 2009

• All of ours are hanging on the wall in the garage. Don't ask! I guess hubby is using them as decor. Anyways, once the title has been transferred, the DMV knows that it doesn't belong to you anymore, but I guess you could call them and ask them if they want it back or if you can put it in the trash (or hang it in your garage).
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It depends on what state you live in. In some states the tag is registered to the vehicle and in some states it's registered to the person. If you are not using the tag on a vehicle you don't have to worry about it at all usually. If you're worried about it call them.

P.S. - I'm kinda new here - what is a DH?
    AlexEss

Answer by AlexEss at 1:18 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• DH is dearest husband. Along with DD, dearest daughter and DS, dearest son.
    Anonymous