Ok so what about tatoos?

I asked the belly button ring question. She also let her 16 yr old, 15 at the time, get a tongue stud and then at 16 a tattoo. Am I too square? She says i am too old fashioned. I say she is not being a parent, she's being a "friend". What do you think?

GMR

Asked by GMR at 12:05 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• We had the rule that we could get whatever piercing we wanted but no tattoos. Of course the piercings were under the rule of my parents weren't going to 'sign' anything or go with us so they thought we wouldnt get them until we were at least 18. I did my own ears (cartlidge-3 total) and when I was 16 going on 17 I got my tongue pierced. My parents theory was that holes close but tattoos last forever. They still don't like them and my brother and I have played with the idea of getting them but still don't. More out of respect for our parents. However if your going to get a tattoo make it something you will still like when your 80 and wrinkly and have to unfold your skin to show your grandkids what it 'used' to look like. :) My mom actually likes the idea of the tattoo I'm now planning on getting (BIG shock) but I'm getting my sons footprints on my back & then as we have more kids their footprints will walk down my back.
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 12:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• No... agree as before, she's being a friend.

I have tattoos. My kids can get them after they turn 18, and I'm planning on suggesting they decide on a design for 6 months-1 year to make absolutely sure its something they can live with. I know way too many people with tattoos they hate.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Thats her choice I say. It may be some good for her letting her daughter get these things because they are close or it may be a downfall. Some kids will rebel more if they don't get what they want and it may escalate into a problem especially at this age. A bellybutton ring does cause more attention that she and her daughter may not want and she needs to know that.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 12:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I have 7 tattoos and I love them all, BUT I don't think when I was 16 I was ready to make the kind of decision that was going to last the rest of my life. As far a piercings go, they close up, but I still think 15 is too young. And a tongue ring kind of has a tendency to send the wrong message, if you know what I mean. I agree with you.
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 12:08 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• my daughter has a tat on her wrist but again she is seventeen
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:13 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My son can get whatever he wants done, once he is 18 yrs old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I personally,,have 2 DD's.They were only allowed(when they were minors) to get there ears pierced..No tattoos,,or tongue,,or belly rings. Now that they are grown they can do what ever they want.. But if some other parents want to let there kids do that .. It's there money and right to do it...It's not my kid..

Answer by louise2 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Well I was 13 when I got my belly button pierced and 16 when I got my first tattoo. My mom is an excellent parent. I'm scared to death of her to this day if I cross her. My dad didn't agree but my mom let me get it because she knew I was responsible enough to handle these choices in my life. I had good grades in school and wasn't disrespectful to people. If you look at me today you would never know that I had ANYTHING. I wasn't a wild child running around...

Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 12:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• if you dont let your kids get piercings or tattoos if they want them then they will just want to get it more. Accept what they want or they will rebel and then just hide it from you. It would hurt you and them less if you just accepted it. My mom is 50 and super old fationed, I got my nose pierced and she was a little ok with it then she said no more and I wanted to get them more so i went and got my belly button and my nipples pierced and she freaked out. She told me that if I would have just told her she would have been more ok with it rather than hiding it from her. She went with me to get my first tattoo and we ended up getting matching ones! accept your kids no matter what. It will come back to you ten fold I promise! (Im probably gonna get reported for saying nipples lol)
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:23 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• thats so cute! theheartbaby
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2009