how do you get a three yo completley not scared to go number two in the toilet?

My son, who is three and 1/2, is refusing to go poop on the toilet. He will do everything else but that. We tried showing him how mommy and daddy do it and that its ok and giving prizes afterwords but he refuses. I don't know if its him being scared or just stubborn. Someone please give a little advise. I am about to go crazy because so far, NOTHING IS WORKING!!!!

AmberWiley

Asked by AmberWiley at 12:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I've had the same problem.
    First, you have to figure out if he is scared or just stubborn.
    If he's stubborn, you can try "poop jail"... http://www.cafemom.com/group/562/forums/read/3247876/Poop_Jail_the_article_from_the_man_who_created_it

If he's scared, try baby steps. See if you can get him to poop in his diaper in the bathroom. Then see if you can get him to sit on the potty for as long as possible until he leaps off to poop - while wearing a diaper. Once he is willing to sit on the potty to poop in his diaper, see if he'll go with the diaper in the potty or no diaper at all.

Another issue I found was HOW my daughter went. She would only go while laying in bed, while falling asleep. As soon as she became aware of what was happening, she would clamp down and not let any more poop out. She is still learning how to work WITH the urge to poop instead of fighting it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I have been through 5 children with potty training, each one a little different. But the last 2 were complete opposites. My son would set on the seat without a problem after learning on a regular potty seat, but my daughter would only use the kind of seat that fit on the regular toilet (so she wouldn't fall in). But she would not even touch the potty chair. So you might try to find one that he likes they come in different styles, colors, etc. See if he'll help pick out one he likes. It might make him more incline to sit and poop. My sons were easier to train than the girls. Good luck!
    Regina851

Answer by Regina851 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 16, 2009