I am breastfeeding and have noticed a decline in my milk production. How can I keep it up? My daughter is only 3 months old!

I am already demand feeding, and could never pump more than 2 oz. from both sides combined. I do eat and keep well hydrated! PLEASE HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Health

• Why do you think you're not producing? If you're changing diapers and she's content-it's probably fine. If you're not feeling as full, it could just be self regulating.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 12:14 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• are you under stress? Maybe worrying about it is causing a problem. Try relaxing.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:14 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• If you try a beer at dinner. My breastfeeding consultant told me that when I was breastfeeding my son. Also try mothers milk. That is herbal tea, like green tea. That does help as well. If you are pumping it does take most of the milk out fast but at the same time you produce more. Keep trying, I had that same problem about that time as well.
    Prican91181

Answer by Prican91181 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I agree and second what Rugersmommy said.

and remember- she gets more out of you thann you can pump. Pumping doesn;;t totally empty you the way nursing does and can lead to less milk being produced sometimes.

Just drink LOTS, eat plenty of protein, and (my opinion ->) try to not nurse on demand for more than a week (at this age)- give it a week for her to regulate you, then stretch her out to 2 hours between feedings. With my kids, nursing on demand wasonly good for a week when they were 'Nursing me Up' to regulate my supply, but then I had to get them back to 2-3 hours between feedings.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 12:24 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Don't base how much you are producing by how much you pump. I have nursed two children and still am the second. I have rarly pumped more then a few ounces, yet my kids doubled thier weight in three months. Are you have let down every time you nurse? Does she seem hungry or thristy after? If not relax you are self regulating as mentioned before. If not then nurse more. It could also be that at three months your child is reducing how often she/he needs to eat. Both of mine did at three months, then agian at 6 months, and 9,12 months. After that I would only nurse three times a day. If you are still worried call the hospital and see if they have a nursing consoltant that you can see. Trust you child, she/he will not let you stare her/him.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:30 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Make sure you not taking sudafed because it will dry up your milk......and cause heart problems for the baby...per doctors orders
    haveahappyday

Answer by haveahappyday at 2:57 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I am sure you are just self regulating, I remember going through that same thing around the same time. I was so worried, I didn't feel as full as I used to. But it was just my body regulating how much milk my baby needed. If your really concerned speak to your doctor, they do have a medication to up your supply (reglan I believe). Good Luck
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 11:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2009