How much do you pay your babysitter when you go out in the evenings?

How much do you pay your babysitter whenever you decide to go out for the evening? I have been going out Saturday Nights with the DH and we have the babysitter come over AFTER the kids are already in bed. So all she's really doing is listening for them. So how much would you pay the babysitter if you were in my position?

joannakitler

Asked by joannakitler at 12:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• I don't pay less then minimum wage. It is so hard to get a good babysitter. They should be paid well.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:18 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• If she doesn't have to do anything for kids but listen for them i would only pay her like $5 an hour. I baby sit and I have a 3 year old and a 17 month old of my own. If i babysit one child for a week full time I only charge $60week. but that is because I know as a mother, it is hard to find a good babysitter at an affordable rate. I just do it because i love kids and i want to earn extra money. I don't charge as much as day cares charge which is ridiculous.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:19 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• $10. - did you see the other post alittle while ago? She asked kinda same thing. - Check it out.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 12:19 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• We have my parents so I don't have to pay one. BUT when I was babysitting if I just had to watch sleeping children I was really happy to get $20 for the night. It was easy and only for about 2-3 hours anyway so I had some cash. If I watched kids who I helped with homework or played with them bathed them and yada yada I would appriciate the $20 all the same but LOVED when people gave me $30 (I never 'charged' people I just told them to pay me what they found appropriate and what they could afford, i didnt want them to be stressed about paying me while they were out on their date)
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 12:42 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Thanks for your answers ladies.

I was wondering b/c I had a mom of the babysitter I use comment to me how we're not paying her what we used to. We pay our babysitter every Saturday Night $30.00 for 4 hours to sit and listen for our kids while they're sleeping. Apparently we have paid her $35.00 a couple of times in the past and she mentioned how the rate dropped down to $30.00. We didn't promise the sitter any specific rate. After doing some research, I realized, our babysitter gets paid $1 more than minimum wage, $3.70 more than what my son's school charges me for an entire day of learning at preschool, and $4.56 more than what I charge my brother to watch his son for an entire day (I watch my nephew twice a week). So I have no regrets or ill feelings about paying her $30.00 for 4 hours to sit, watch tv and listen for the kids.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 1:41 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• We don't go out much. I usually pay 60-80 for one night out to the Teenage sitter. I personally think it's too much. Then again I want them to come back when needed. Thats for 3 kids
    Anonymous