What do you think about giving allowance?

We'll be taking in husbands 3 younger siblings in our care, and moving into a bigger house soon. We should be able to give them even a small allowance each week. Even if its a few dollars.
Should we give them allowances for doing their chores? How does that work?
These kids never really had anything..so i want to make sure they feel they can earn things, but not get paid to do their chores ya know?

aMbeR012005

Asked by aMbeR012005 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I don't give allowance, never have. My boys are 12, 14, 15.
    I have never seen a goood reason for allowance. It's not teaching real world skills in my opnion. It teaches them how to spend someone else's money that is given to them or it pays them for doing what is their responsibility (which should be paid to do).

We offer "Paying Jobs" (things above and beyond their normal chores) if they want to earn money.

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 12:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• When I was a kid, we had "The Chart". LOL! Sounds so stupid saying it now. But we got paid to do little extra things. Like clean all the mirrors in the house, or vaccuum the stairs. But then we had regular chores too, like cleaning the dishes, helping with the pets stuff like that, that we didn't get paid for. When we did our extra chores and earned the money it went onto the chart, and if we wanted to use our money off of it we had to tell our parents what we were going to use it for.
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 12:29 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• The paying jobs seem like a good idea. Yea we were never given allowance..both of us. So we dont know if its even neccessary. Thats true though ..It doesnt really teach them anything..

I dont want them to think, if we dont have money to givethem one week, that they dont have to do their chores ya know?
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 12:30 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• musikdoll.
    thats sounds like a good idea. I actually started doing the chart for my son . Hes 4 though.. But it seems like a good idea even for teens . :)
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• "and if we wanted to use our money off of it we had to tell our parents what we were going to use it for. "

If my kids earn money- it is theirs and they can spend it like they want. They can buy lots of candy, but the house rules is they can't eat it on school days. So they can buy as much as they want- but they can onlyeat it on the weekends. Or whatever. If they work to earn their money, It is theirs. Now if they were buying Playboys and Cigarettes, that'd be different- and is a totally different problem.

and we have taught our kids about banks and interest early on so they want their money in a bank earning interest. A wise decision on their part. theey have some in the bank and some at EdwardJones Investments. with the economy the way it is and the money the have lost they have decided to just stick to putting it in the bank right now.
    Anonymous

• thats a good idea. too. the bank thing. I know one of them likes to save.

In my case though with these kids, we are going to have to ask what theyre going buy. lol

maybe ask less and less as time goes by..

We have like no idea on the exact way to deal with teens other than asking and fair reasoning.

Our house, our rules ya know. They arent going to change for anyone. So i hope they adjust well.
    HOPE... lol
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 12:42 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• get the book- Parenting Teens with Love and Logic- it might help you. I can imagine it's a big change- all the sudden having teens like that. it's quite different then the kids you have raised since birth becoming teens.

And as far as asking what they are going to buy- some kids need it and it's good to know that about your kids. If they need it, then ask! hopefully, you'll not need to as often after some time.

Yes- definately keep your house rules. Just make sure they are 'teen appropirate'- little kids need different rules than older kids. and remember this is a big change for them, too, and it'll take adjusting. Teens need to be more incharge of their own lives than a 5 or 10 yr old- as these are the years they are preparing to leave the house and become indpendant.

GOOD LUCK to all of you! :-)
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 12:50 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• We do not give a set allowance. Everyone is expected to assit with chores to keep the house clean. If someone does something above their chores, then we will give them a few dollars for their extra help.

It works out well bc my daughter will glady do extra for money and my son will not. She gets rewarded for her hard work.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 1:09 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Kiter,
    thank you, we are really going to need it. lol..

Yea , the different rules for the kids is what we were talkign about . My husband is like, 8 pm is to early for them to go to bed..Im like well thats when our son goes to sleep lol.

Right now..its be in bed by 9:30, no questions .

Im going to check out that book .. thank you :)
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 1:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• well i think they shouild get an allowance for doin chores but if they dont do them they dont get thir allowance.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 6:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2009