What do you think about giving allowance?

We'll be taking in husbands 3 younger siblings in our care, and moving into a bigger house soon. We should be able to give them even a small allowance each week. Even if its a few dollars.
Should we give them allowances for doing their chores? How does that work?
These kids never really had anything..so i want to make sure they feel they can earn things, but not get paid to do their chores ya know?

aMbeR012005

Asked by aMbeR012005 at 12:26 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• My 14yo gets 25 every 2 weeks, my 11 and 9 year old get 15 each every 2 weeks. They do ALL the housework though. And they do not complain (much).
    Anonymous

• thats sounds fair. theyre doing a little more than what they normally would do ..so yougive allowance.. yea that sounds fair .. :)
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I didn't give mine allowances. They were taught from a very young age what communal living means. A family is communal living. All in the home need to contribute, as all in the home receive. My kids never went without, as that was my parental duty. For "extra" money that they wanted, they learned how to communicate to neighbours and friends and family about helping them, and those people would always offer to pay. That taught them how to help, and communicate well with elders, etc.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:44 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• hmmm that sounds like a good idea too.
    Im afraid of them just recieving and expecting , rather than doing their part ya know?

I think waht im going to do is see howthey do with chores, then give them little jobs to do later on that they can get paid for.
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• i didn't grow up with an allowance...

i just knew that i had to do my chores. there wasn't going to be a 'reward' for doing my chores, they just needed done.

but if i ever wanted something special, like some money to go shopping or to the movies or something, and my parents felt that i deserved it, then they gave me some money. on a case by case basis. so i never expected them to pay for anything, but i appreciated it when they did.
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 6:04 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I have four kids and they all have one chore a piece and they dont get allowence. Ive tried it before it didnt work out because they thought I should give more than they deserved. with four kids its hard to give a lot but they do get everything they need and I do take them places and buy them stuff that keeps them from spending it all on candy or little petty things that wont last long.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 8:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I'm all for giving allowance as a way of sharing the wealth. However, I don't reward them for household chores. I will reward good grades, on a case by case basis.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 8:18 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Hey sister....my son gets $20 a week for taking out all trash daily, picking up poop 2x a week, cutting the lawn 2x mo. If he does a bad job or forgets stuff I deduct $, I made up a contract with him. re: 4 topics chores, involment in prog, grades (he gets to go to the mall and movies with friends)
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 9:20 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I got a great christian book "Have a new kid by Friday" Kevin Leman. Love him...He also has another the "The Birth Order Personality"
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 9:26 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• If it is based on chores and they don't get if they don't 'work' for it yeah. It teaches a work ethic and money management.
    dreambig123

Answer by dreambig123 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 16, 2009