Question in regards to conversion to Judaism.

Are there any books that you suggest to prepare me for conversion and before contacting a Rabbi? I should also add, I am interested in converting reform.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am a Reform Jew. I can tell you that it is the tradition on Rabbis to turn someone away the first 3 times they approach the Rabbi. This is a test of your interest and dedication. The assumption is that if you are really serious you will come back. It isn't really a part of Judaism to convert others. You have to want it badly. The Rabbi you go to may or may not do this. It all depends on the individual and their beliefs. I would recommed a couple of different books. The first is "What Is A Jew" by Rabbi Morris N. Kertzer. The second is "Basic Judaism" by Milton Steinberg. If nothing else, you will learn quite a bit. Good Luck.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 12:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• You should talk to the Rabbi first. My sil converted and when she went to get married she was told that she would have to convert again (in another way).

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:30 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I should add:
    Any other info would be helpful as well.

This is not a coversion for marriage.
    Anonymous

• Thank you so much Marwill.
    Anonymous

• You are welcome!
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 12:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• my oldest son is converting to Judiaism too. I know he reads the Torah and attends temple. He has done a Sedar and has been doing Shabbat every Friday. He is very good with other languages and has been doing readings in Hebrew. I am not Jewish or Christian and I am very happy for my son. I hope you will find the same happiness.
    Anonymous

• Thank you anon.
    Anonymous