drama: situation with car, advice pleeeeeeeease

I'll try to make this short. my mom is flying down to visit for my son's 1st bday. my car broke down yesterday and is in the shop, no telling when it'll be fixed and ready. SO is a mechanic at a storage facility plant, fixing the delivery trucks. always on call. his schedule is unpredictable. so my car is out of the question, and he is out of the question (for picking up mom from the airport I mean). theres a rent a car place at the airport, but mom is refusing to drive herself to the motel because she is unfamiliar with the town and will get lost, frustrated and have a panic attack. i'm out of options. my friend's arent a taxi service. and theres no public transportation in town. what should I do? does she need to just suck it up and drive herself? it is expensive to rent a car too. and she's blaming me and SO for not helping out

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 12:42 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would enlist the help of a good friend...I know I would do it for my friend in a pinch. Offer some gas money. I do not however think you need to kiss your moms ass if she is being difficult about all of this. You cannot help your car broke down..sounds like she needs to grow up a bit..sorry.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:19 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• No, she doesn't need to "suck it up". She sounds similar to me. You need to provide her with transportation while she is visiting you. Most mechanics have a car for their patrons to borrow while their car is in the garage for extended periods.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:46 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• How about offering to pay have of taxi fare?

Anonymous

• Where we take our vehicles for maintenance, if they can't fix it in one day and have to keep it overnight they provide a rental. Get that or YOU rent a car and drive her to the hotel then turn the rental in until your car is fixed and let her sit at the motel. Or, rent a car and you pick her up in the car and take her to your house to stay instead of a cold motel.

Your "SO" isn't out of the question, he simply can't be relied up on to get her. He might very well be able to do it.

Your friends won't help out with a one time pickup by running you to the airport to get your mom? Not much of a friend in my book to not even help out once.
    Anonymous

• I would find a way to pick up my mom...

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 12:55 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• its not that I'm telling my mom she's on her own, It sjust that I CANT get her with my car and SO cant get her either. I did manage to call SIL and she said she can help. and I cant afford to rent a car. I'm not sure if the mechanic my car was brought to offers rental cars. not every place does that, but I'll ask! thanks everyone
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:26 PM on Apr. 16, 2009