IAM TRYING 2 POTTY TRAIN MY 2YEARS OLD BUT I HAVE A 7 MONTH OLD BABY AND I NEED SOME TIPS

friend22

Asked by friend22 at 12:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When we start to potty train, we set a timer. When the timer goes off the boy sits on the potty for a minute. When he is done then we reset the timer for 30 more minutes. If he is wet before he goes more than 2 times in a row we start going every 20 minutes until he gets the hang of it. Then we start to go longer between tries as long as they stay dry. If they pee in the potty they get a small treat. That is what we do.
    mzfam99

Answer by mzfam99 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I have a 2 year old and an 8mo old. What I do is I estimate when DS usually poops. (for us it's after breakfast....then I'll also put him on the toilet after lunch and dinner)He'll go sit on the toilet and I'll hold DD. We read books in there and blow bubbles if he poops or pees. This way, he is enjoying potty time and I'm entertaining my baby at the same time.
    It's def not easy.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 1:41 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• MIne were 19 months and 4 months when I was doing the same thing. I guess it helped that baby wasn't mobile... I was doing the 3-day training where you don't have them sit on the potty at fixed intervals... you put them in underwear and wait for them to start having an accident before moving them to the potty. Needless to say it was a challenge... but we got through it, my daughter successfully trained in about 6-7 days and my little one doesn't seem to be too emotionally scarred from being thrown into her bouncer seat at a moment's notice several times a day. If you want any info on this type of training, check out the CM group "potty training moms support group" -- there's a permanent post there about the 3-day training and a lot of moms on there have used it with success. Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:46 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• When my son turned 2 I wanted to potty train him. I tried and tired. I stressed the hell outta him and myself. Finally I gave up.

Shortly after he turned 3 he told me he wanted to use the potty! Since then potty training has been a breeze.

My only advice is, wait until your kid demonstrates an interest in being trained. It'll happen. You can encourage it with books and videos that make potty training seem FUN!
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 5:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Hey there,
    I'm a nanny and I've potty trained a few little ones. The coolest idea so far has been to completely get rid of all diapers and tell the child that the diapers disappeared because it is time for him to potty. Try to get it into his head that it was magic and no diaper will stay on him. Use pull-ups at night and make sure to refer to them as "night time undies" instead of diapers. Reward going to the potty with stickers on a chart, number 1 with some form of treat, and number 2 with some other form of treat. Make sure to be consistent and always reward with the same kind of treat for the same kind of actions.

Don't make a big deal out of accidents. Don't get upset, because your toddler learns that he can get your attention that way if you get upset. Don't be overly compassionate, because they also learn that they can get your attention this way. I always say, "Looks like you had an accident.. (cont)
    KristenDanielle

Answer by KristenDanielle at 7:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• (cont) and that you need new underwear. It's alright, next time we'll make it to the potty, right?" Then remind the child to let you know when they have to go to the potty. Make sure he says "Okay," because if he is reluctant to let you know when he has to go, he might be scared or discouraged. If he is scared or discouraged, help him feel better by reminding him that it's a great thing to learn to use the potty, that there is nothing to be afraid of, and that you will be very proud of him and he will get a treat if he goes.

Hope this helps!
    KristenDanielle

Answer by KristenDanielle at 7:08 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My daughter started showing signs that she was ready for potty training when she was 17 months. So I striped her down, put the potty in the living room, so all she had to do was sit down. she did have a few accidents, but after all the praise, and candy she got for going potty she got the hang of it real quick. let her pick out her own patties and make a big deal out of how pretty they are.
    ShesaWilld1

Answer by ShesaWilld1 at 7:41 PM on Apr. 16, 2009