does anyone have a permanent retainer?

i had braces for 3 years and i got a clear retainer afterwards like invisalign i really liked it but i lost it and now i need braces again for 6 months they have an option here about a permanent retainer does that urt? is it a pain like braces? i guess they told me it goes in the back of ur teeth and is there permanetly but i don think i want that bu then what if i lose it? ugh any one have one whats it like you like dislike?

chukuku

Asked by chukuku at 1:05 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Health

• I had one! It does help keep the teeth aligned so that they stay straight. In my case it kind of threw my bite off and caused some TMJ issues but that doesnt happen to everyone though. It feels weird the first couple weeks and then its no big deal you get used to it. You could always try it like I did and then if you dont like it you can always get it removed.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 1:08 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My friend has one.... You cant even see that she has it. And as far as I know it doesnt hurt her, she never mentions it atleast
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 1:09 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• thanks i gues im jut still thinking about it i really lliked my clear ones that i lost and it would suck t get those if ican find them here and thn lose them again they were cool theywere clear and they kept me from eating cuz i was lazy to take em out eat brush put them back in lol
    chukuku

Answer by chukuku at 1:11 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I have one on my bottom teeth that I've had for more than 10 years. I thought I would HATE it when I first got it in but once I got used to it things were fine. It never causes me any issues. I didn't hurt, didn't bother me at all. My biggest complaint about it is that I sometimes get a piece of food stuck between it and my teeth which leads to needing a toothpick or brush to get it out. Oh and flossing can be tricky sometimes. Otherwise it's fine.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 1:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My hubby has one. He doesn't notice it. It is permanently attached to his teeth (well an orthodontist could take it out but that costs too much) so he can't lose it. He had it done as a teen and says it was no worse than braces.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:53 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• No pain...no problem...I would totally recommend getting one!
    ciejsgirl

Answer by ciejsgirl at 3:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I have one, no pain, no issues. There is no speical upkeep. It is there forever.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2009