do carrots give your baby gas?

SO I have a four month year old and he is sure he is starving ALL the time so I started him on cereal and than carrots ,squash, peas and beans. he was eating a WHOLE jar per sitting and then still screaming for more so I started addindg cereal to the mix to make it heavier and more of it he STILL eats a whole jar in a sitting and today he wouldn't chill till I gave him a rice rusk and a bottle I have never seen a baby eat so much well carrots are his favorites by far but they give him realy bad gas is this normal ? and how much does your 4 month old eat? mine at 4 1/2 months is a fruggen 18 lbs ! killen me here any suggestions?

knepppi

Asked by knepppi at 1:10 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No carrots usually don't give a baby gas. It's all of the solid food he's getting now. Try a little less food and more formula or nurse a little more till his tummy gets used to the food:)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 2:30 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I agree with PP. I would feed him the jar and then fill him up with milk (breast, bottle, what ever). That little (young) shouldn't be eating that much solids. At that age they are just getting used to it and getting a taste for it. Their main source of calories should still be from mom or formula. They should eat up to 24 oz. of "milk" a day for their calories and to make sure they are still getting the iron that they don't get from "solid" foods like cereal.
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 3:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Carrots squash and beans have nitrates in them, check it out on google, it's not a good idea to give them to babies under 6 mos, they can't process the nitrates and they can build up in the body and cause some really nasty problems.
    wadesmum

Answer by wadesmum at 4:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2009