How do I help my daughter with her reading?

my daughter is almost 8 and behind in her reading. Its confusing for me because she seems to get the more difficult words lie supposed, or giraffe, hospital, no problem, but she'll stumble and sound out words like and, sit, how, about,.... Why? Is it a way for attention? How do we stop this? Also she tends to just stop at a word and stare at it. LOL We try to get her to sound them out outloud, but she is stubborn... Anything would help thank you!

shaye

Asked by shaye at 1:11 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe she is just doing it for attention. You could try offering her some type of reward if she can do it to see whether or not she really can.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It sounds like she might be doing really well with sight words (words she knows just from the look of them, like giraffe) and have some gaps in her phonetics, the actual sounding out of the words. And just stopping and staring at the word sounds like she is feeling overwhelmed and bored and is spacing out - totally normal. How you handle this stage is really important: if she continues or begins to associate reading with stress,  then she will NOT be a "reader" even if she catches up to grade level. It will be something she always associates with stress
    Get her books or comic books that she enjoys; read to her a little each night, and make it a really special mother/daughter time with zero pressure, just good enjoyment of reading. Comment on any improvement you see in her reading - not excessive praise but just to get her (and you) focused on the positive and her abilities.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Honestly, she just sounds like she wasn't taught to read properly, but I'm not like any public school and never taught my children to read like they did. By the time my kids entered kindergarten they were reading very well in chapter books. She needs to understand each letter sound, then she needs to understand her vowels, and then she needs to understand basic rules this is what she's missing I bet, such as two vowels together, first one does the talking, second the walking... those kinds of rules.

I would assess her and see what she does know, and what you can add, there seems to be a gap, she also may be memorizing certain words which is common for children and most schools 'encourage'. I'm no fan of memorization and it can cause problems if the child didn't pick up reading well enough, I'd make sure you start her with simple 'new' reading books, and start from square one on teaching her to read, I'd not rely on schools.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 1:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Also there are tons of fun sites online for learning, starfall.com is a good one for phonics that she might enjoy doing.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:23 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• my SD does this sometimes. she also has comprehension and fluency problems. we were told to do a lot of easy reading. things to give her confidence and things that will help with fluency. make sure she is reading at least 20 minutes everyday. also, the more you read to her the better. i need to do this more myself. i have also printed off the Dolche 220 most common word flash cards so that we could test going through those. she should know all of them by now, but the three lists we went through she actually did have trouble with a few. keep reading with her. make sure that you have her sound out the words. good luck its not easy.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 4:44 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Just keep reading to her and with her! She'll get the hang of it!

Maybe ask her what SHE wants to read?
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• You ladies rock thank you so much!!!
    shaye

Answer by shaye at 10:04 PM on Apr. 16, 2009