I am exclusively breastfeeding, my baby poops almost at every feeding and his butt is now red, i know breast feeding is best but what can i do to get rid of the redness on his butt? I feel bad for him I tried the A&D ointment and that hasnt helped and I stopped using wipes and use wash clothes during diaper changes now

nessy1980

Asked by nessy1980 at 1:49 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try destyn or balmex. You can mix maalox in with the rash cream or try brown flower. Leave his diaper off and put him in the bath with a little vinegar to get rid of the redness. I dont know if you have heard of seen it but there is this stuff called utter cream, you buy it in the lotion isle at walmart, its a white tube with black cow spots on it and I use it daily with my daughter and she has had 1 rash because of teething. Its safe to use even without a rash and keeps the skin protected and its way cheaper than rash creams.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Oh also try and pat instead of wipe even if he poops try to pay more then wipe as that irritates the skin more.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I EBF too and my daughter's poops are always really runny. There are a couple things you can try...first, make sure your baby's bottom is all the way dry before you put any ointment on it so you're keeping it from getting wet, not trapping the wetness in.

The best thing I have EVER found to work was recommended to me by my pharmacist. He said to get a big gallon sized zip lock bag and put the thick Eucerine cream (sp) and a bottle of Maalox in there and squish it around until it makes a cream. That seems to neutralize whatever it is that is making the rash.

Good luck mama!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:53 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Try Neo it always worked well for me, just don't get into private parts. A little dab is all it takes. Hope this helps.
    Regina851

Answer by Regina851 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Try Bag Balm... it's not a diaper cream but it works well. It comes in a square green tin and you can get it at Walgreens and I think Target.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I am also x-clusively breastfeeding and use Triple Paste. It is the best and my babys butt is white as ivory. Dena
    Dena275

Answer by Dena275 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• CORNSTARCH !!! CORNSTARCH!!! I have four kids and I used cornstarch for all of them!!! Use it every day, every single time you change...Use an empty powder box , the top will pop right off and put cornstarch in that to use. Also, let his butt air out for a few for a few minutes a day after you wipe him off w/ a warm wash cloth .Don't use any soap for a few day's till it clears up. IT"S FANTASTIC!!!
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 2:27 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• In response first to the Anonymous answer given above. DIET HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH POOPING PROBLEMS!! If she hadn't have specified breast or formula, 7 people would have asked her. Maybe there are more formula feeders than breast feeders because of lack of commitment to the huge task of being a real mom. Just giving my honest opinion, with my name by the way, Ms. Anonymous.

Nessy, try cornstarch, to make sure he's good & dry. Lay him on a blankie & give him some air time. Just imagine how irritated his bum would be if it was being pooing out synthetic formula!
    carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 2:34 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It would probably be ten times worse if you'd given him formula, so dont feel like it's your fault. It's probably just something you ate. If this becomes a consistent problem, try cutting out dairy from your diet, and maybe look into cloth diapering?

Let him air out a lot. Every time he gets a diaper change let him lay on a changing pad and just play naked for 10-15 minutes, that will get rid of the rash better than anything. Then when you put a diaper back on, try a thick layer of desitin and make sure to change him as soon as he poops or pees. Either one sitting on his little bummie will give him a rash.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 2:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Not that I care that you breastfeed, but you don't hear formula feeders bragging and shoving it in your face that obviously breast is NOT best, because there are more formula feeders than there are breastfeeders

**Oh forevermore lay off it. Even your precious formula company acknowledges breast is best. Just because there are a LOT of people that formula feed doesn't mean its BEST. More of my family is smokers than not...does that mean the smokers are BETTER and HEALTHIER than me? I think not. Quit being so ignorant and ignore breastfeeding comments if it twists your panties so.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 2:40 PM on Apr. 16, 2009