What should I do? My 5 year old DD is hitting.

So the other day DD was at her friends house and the mother calls to tell me that DD hit her little girl in the face, and that it has happend before so she tells me about it. We talked to DD about this and told her that you dont hit your friends. We also took away her raido and she had to go to bed right after dinner for 3 nights in a row, also told her she would'nt be allowed to play with her anymore if it happend again.. She would have gotten her CD player back tmrw, however her friends mother calls to tell me that DD hit her daughter at SCHOOL! I asked y the teacher did'nt handle it and she said her DD did'nt tell the teacher.

I dont know what to do...my DD is bright..she knows hitting is wrong...and has never done this before. Please help!!

MadsMom04

Asked by MadsMom04 at 1:53 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Did you ask your daughter why she hit her friend? Not that I think hitting is a solution but maybe there is more to the story.
    foistela

Answer by foistela at 4:00 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• OMG - my 5 year old just went through a hitting, poking, pushing phase and I thought I was going to go crazy. I got some great advice from my mom - she said that if it happens at school, to let school handle it. Reinforce that we dont hit, but dont harp and punish her more (if she did something at home, you would not have school continue a punishment) then make sure you are giving her a little extra attention and special time with Mom or Dad (our DD's little brother I think had something to do with her behavior) LUCKILY she is a really good kid normally, everyone was patient and it only lasted 2 weeks. But it was horrible. Send me a note if you want more.
    madzachmom

Answer by madzachmom at 9:42 PM on Apr. 16, 2009