Airsofter couple....

So my husband and I airsoft (or I used to before I got pregnant, but I plan to again). We have, maybe, 8 high quality airsoft guns ranging from a small metal pistol to a sniper rifle. My husband wants to keep them in our walk in closet in their gun bags on the top shelves but I dont think that I am comfortable with the idea. I think that we should be treating these "toy guns" as REAL guns and keeping them in a locked cabinet of sorts. Our baby isnt even born yet, but I want him to get in the habit of keeping them locked away and we'll teach her about them when she's old enough to understand. What do you think???

Michele_Lynn

Asked by Michele_Lynn at 1:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I absolutely agree with you. Guns are guns. Be it airsoft, pellet or carrying full metal jacket rounds. You child will learn much in their life by watching and imitating you. Treat them as if they were the same as deadly weapons. God forbid you didn't and she walks ina friends house and thinks a real gun is likely Mommy and Daddys airsoft guns.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I come from a household that had a gun on a rack on the wall. I was also allowed to learn to shoot and about gun safety at aroung 2 years old. I never ever entertained the idea of picking up the gun, because I had been around to see what it did to targets and things and because I had shot it with my dad. My son never really was around one, but, was taught about it. At two, he went to get something from a closet at my dads and came running to tell me that he couldn't get into the closet. I asked why not, and he said, "Because there is a gun in there". It turns out it was a BB gun, but, he was praised for not touching it and for telling an adult. Also I took the opportunity to explain that he should never touch it unless me or his granpa were there to supervise. I think guns can be out and around as long as the kids are taught very early on how to be safe and what to do. Take the mystery out and not leave them curious
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I totally agree with you. You need to teach that any gun is still a gun! My oldest daughter goes to her dad's house on the weekend. And he had been showing her how to shoot squirells with a small bee bee gun. I knew nothing about this, and I've always taught her that if she sees a gun even if she thinks its a toy to get away from it until an adult checks it out. Well, b/c of her fathers new lessons my 4 year old little girl went over to my grandmothers found the key to the gun case, and opened it looking for a bee bee gun. Luckily my grandmother had an alarm on it and we caught it before it was too late. But when we asked her what she was doing she replied: "I just wanted to show my baby brother how to shoot them squirells like my daddy showed me!". Be carefull. Obivously it will be a while b4 you have to worry about it, but lock them up and even if you have the key hidden get an alarm for the case too.
    motherslove1987

Answer by motherslove1987 at 3:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2009