How you ever thought of being a surrogate? Or have you been?

I was going through craigslist looking for new customers (I have a marketing company) and I read this ad that really touched my heart. It was a story about a childless couple searching for someone to carry their first born child. I have been blessed with three children of my own and three stepchildren. The idea of giving someone their first baby and earning money at the same time is a win win situation.

My husband doesn't like the idea of me carrying some other mans baby and is afraid of what people would say about me in our small town.

What do you think?

marriedw6kids

Asked by marriedw6kids at 2:02 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would totally do it but I am high risk and would not want something going wrong with the baby or myself just not a chance I am willing to take.
    Sbahns

Answer by Sbahns at 2:11 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I considered becoming a surrogate at one point for my cousin. Unfortunately, I do not meet the requirements for a surrogacy, being that I have PCOS and fertility problems. If they chose to use my eggs, they wouldn't be as good of a quality- if they didn't choose to use my eggs I still have low progesterone and a hightened risk of miscarriage from the PCOS. =( It's sad that I'd be so willing to help another couple, when I cannot even help myself.

I think if you are perfectly willing and able to do it, you should. I imagine it would feel so rewarding in itself to know that you are fulfilling a couple's dream. If people talk in the small town, DH should tell them that you two are helping out friends or people who are unable to conceive. I find it very admirable.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 2:12 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• If you want to then go for it! I personally don't think I can handle the emosional part of giving up the baby once it's born.... But that's up to you!
    Anonymous

• I thought about it many times. I am single and I have a 13 y/o. It was so easy being pregnant and delivering him, that I thought about it. I just never jumped in and did it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:19 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I have thought about that... "giving up the baby" however it wouldn't be my egg therefore it really itsn't my baby. I am just the womb for rent. - :)

I don't know ...I love being pregnant but it is a HUGE commitment.
    marriedw6kids

Answer by marriedw6kids at 2:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I have thought about it and would do it. If any of my sisters or sister inlaws need a surrogate I would do it in a heartbeat.
    1and1make3

Answer by 1and1make3 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I have definitely thought about being a surragate and plan to when my husband and I are done having children of our own. I really enjoy being pregnant and have very easy pregnancies and deliveries. I would love to give someone a baby that could not carry one herself. I think it is an awesome committment and reward. Good Luck!
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 2:33 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I have thought about it too, but I have had 3 miscarriages and do not qualify. I couldnt use my own eggs though, it would have to be the biological mothers and fathers that I would carry for them.

If you really want to you would have to heva your husband on board, this is something that will effect your whole family and you dont want to go throuh 9 months of pregnancy with your husband resenting you for not respecting his wishes. I do think it is a beautiful thing though and if you talk to him about it he may lighten up a bit. GL
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:34 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• well i just want to say i'm glad there is people out there willing to help others enjoy the gift of a child because my sister in law is a selfish person me and my husband lost our first child and had some complications and there was a chance i wouldn't be able to conceive again and i asked her if she would have a child for me. I explained to her that it wouldn't be there child because it wasn't her egg and his sperm but she got all pissed and said no because it would be her baby if she carried it that long and wouldn't be able to give it to us and i told her she'd always be close to the baby i mean its in the family but she wouldn'd do it but if she'd been in my shoes i'ld done it for her in a heartbeat but thats me. She made the comment that it might not be her egg and his sperm but it was her blood and womb providing for the baby. So what do you do we are still trying so thank god there is women out there who are gods angels
    pandora09

Answer by pandora09 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Pandora - Oh my gosh I am so sorry to hear that happened to you. I am no angel having I feel that this is God's work and the fact that I came across that ad is a sign that he wants me to do something for this couple.
    I don't know yet, I am still thinking about it.
    marriedw6kids

Answer by marriedw6kids at 3:10 PM on Apr. 16, 2009