• In the Spotlight:

need help on weaning from breastfeeding.

I have a 2 and a half year old.. boy.. Need help on how to wean him. I enjoy giving him what he needs but, I think it is time to start getting him on to other things. I have tried re-directing him and it works sometimes but, if he wants it. He stands and yells at me for it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How often do you do it. Start of slowly by only doing it maybe in the morning at nap time and bed then skip the morning feeding and then the nap and then the bed time feeding. Offer him a sippy cup or something else. You may just need to tell him NO its all gone and let him scream it out. If you give him the choice when to stop he could be 10.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• At his age, you need to just stop. Even if he yells at you for more, deny him. He is old enough to understand what no means. And if you let him nurse much longer that is kinda sick.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like you have a very stubborn child who knows what he wants. I would suggest stopping cold turkey and just giving him extra attention for the next week or so while he is adjusting. He will be fine. Maybe take him to get an exciting new toy for "big boys". And let him know that big boys don't breastfeed.
    stephy993

Answer by stephy993 at 6:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• please dont stop cold turkey. that can be very very hard on your son. he's not crying and yelling because he's stubborn he's doing it because its been his number 1 source of comfort since the day he was born. its not "kinda sick" either. the best way to wean is the "dont offer dont refuse method" www.kellymom.com has great weaning advice. good luck and please dont listen to the previous posters, they obviously arent educated on this subject
    sarahrm

Answer by sarahrm at 11:38 PM on Apr. 17, 2009