What is the best way to get rid of fleas?

Fleas, pest control, home, yard, garden

luvmyawsomgirls

Asked by luvmyawsomgirls at 2:42 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Prescription meds from the vet are the only thing that really works.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• You will have to get your dog dipped, and you may have to have the yard and house treated...they are everywhere. Are you getting bitten too???
    Preciv

Answer by Preciv at 2:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• buy an industrial fogger, from a hardware store. On the day of the fogging, take ur dog to get dipped, and make sure to start using some kind of insect thing on the dog. Follow the instructions on the fogger. My livingroom is really big, so we always used 2 in it. close all bedroom doors, windows, etc. turn off pilot lights, close dressers, cabinets. Cover dishes and food. Wash any clothes that were on the floor, dirty clothes, and bedding. If you have a small child, i wouldnt enter the house again for a day or two. You should also treat the sofas, couches, and chairs with the flea spray from a grocery store.
    Anonymous

• You can also sprinkle Borax (the laundry detergent) in your carpets (it's not hazardous). You let it sit for a day or two and it basically suffocates fleas & eggs. Then you just vacuum it up and dispose of the bag.
    FishBiscuit

Answer by FishBiscuit at 3:03 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I have been fighting these little devils too... I am the great flea hunter in my house. I sweep 2-3x per day...change the bag after every use..dreadful things can crawl out. I mop our hardwoods with a mixture of Dawn soup, murphys oil soap, lavender oil(they hate the stuff) and salt. Daily. They hate salt it dehydrates them. I have also been using the borax on my carpets...it is impossible to get rid of them without treating the pet too. I bath him weekly with dawn soap and lemon joy...they hate lemon too. It is a never ending battle with these tormentors in my house .....but I will over come...Persistance is the answer. Good Luck..fellow fighter! LOL
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 11:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• We unfortunately had a problem with fleas a few years ago. We tried everything & nothing worked until we called in a professional who sprayed our house & yard. The foggers & other stuff from the store do not work. For your pets, get something like Frontline because it is the only thing that seems to work. Collars, sprays, and products from the store don't work either.
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 10:18 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• When we moved into the house we are in now it was full of fleas and so was the yard! So we bombed the house (while no one was in it) and put stuff on the lawn. We did this before we moved our dog in so thank goodness he didn't get any. But they sure bit me a lot!! Not fun!
    hohaas

Answer by hohaas at 10:38 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Thank you all ! I have done several things that were suggested. I think we finally have a little break from them !
    luvmyawsomgirls

Answer by luvmyawsomgirls at 3:41 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I have found that the best way is to use Dawn dish liquid. You only need a little. And it is totally safe!! Will not harm your pet!
    lovinben

Answer by lovinben at 1:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2008