is having your water broken considered not having a natural birth?

even if you do it without meds? someone told me 95% of women have their water broken by a doctor as well, is that true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Its not natural if someone goes and does it for your body. Your body doing it on its own would be natural. Lots of drs do this but not all. Dont allow vaginal exams if you do not want your water artificially ruptured (AROM)
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 4:59 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It all depends on you. SOme people consider a vaginal birth a natural birth, and some consider it natural only if you have no vaginal exams and no interventions of any kind. Alot of Dr's do want to break your water for you because they believe it will help speed things up, there really is no way to tell if there is any truth to this or not, it is a personal decision but one you needx to think about before you actually go into labor. If you truly want a natural birth as is possible, I would suggest doing alot of reading up on different circumstances that can happen and think ahead as to what yur answer will be depending on what circumstances occur, because alot of times you are in pain and Dr's will take advantage of that and try to get you to do something you hadnt considered before. And stay home as long as possible befor eyou go to the hospital if that is where you are delivering. GL
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:30 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Just because you NEED to have your water broken doesn't make it any less of a natural birth. My grandmother, my mother, my sister, and I all had to have our water broken. My brother was crowning and my mother's water still had not broken.
    Anonymous

• Anon, babies born in the Caul (bag of waters still intact over his head) are said to be very lucky in most cultures. Very rare and luck to have happen. Every midwives dream.
    Anonymous

• Actually, being born in the caul (born in the bag of waters) is considered very lucky and a blessing. It doesn't stop you from delivering whatsoever. Doctors rupture the membranes because they believe it has a tendency to speed up labor. I will admit, contractions definitely intensify once the water has broken (mine broke on my own). But you don't HAVE to have it broken. You can google it, even.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 2:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Depends on who you ask... these days many consider any vaginal birth to be a natural birth, even with meds. I personally don't consider breaking the waters to be natural, but it can be part of an unmedicated, vaginal birth. Many homebirth midwives also will break the waters artificially for some women. You can learn more about breaking the waters - how and why it's done, risks and benefits - here.

I've had four births and have let my waters break spontaneously on their own. It is rarely necessary (and babies CAN be born even if the sac doesn't rupture at all, it's called being born "in the caul") but only you can decide if it is right for you at the time. (And keep in mind that some drs want to do them with every single birthing mother, regardless of her individual situation or desires. You can always refuse, of course.)

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• With all four of my pregnancies I has no meds or anything but the dr. broke my water, didn't ask, just said I'm going to break your water now (except my dr. with #4 asked)... i don't feel like my births were any "less" natural, and I really don't care either :)
    L.a.u.r.a.

Answer by L.a.u.r.a. at 3:00 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• With my first my midwife broke my water. With my second two it broke during delivery.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 4:12 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• a natural birth is when a baby comes out of your vagina, plain and simple...I think it's ridiculous for SOME moms to try to discount another mom's birth experience. It's tacky and childish.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:40 PM on Apr. 16, 2009