laying on you back after 20 weeks?

http://www.parentingweekly.com/pregnancy/pregnancy_health_fitness/benefits_prenatal_exercise.htm

I was looking at this page and i have never heard that you are not supposed to lay on you back after 20 weeks have you heard this before?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You are supposed to side sleep. I hated being pregnant and sleeping, I am tummy sleeper. :(
    Anonymous

• I always thought you were suppose to sleep on your side after like 16 weeks. I did and hated it. I am a tummy sleeper as well.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 2:48 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• i've never been told not to, its just harder to get up and harder to breath when you lay on your back. if i'm on my couch and put two or three pillows on the arm i can prop myself so most of my chest is elevated and lay on my back that way, but otherwise, i can't breath for more than a few mins if im on my back. granted im 34 weeks but this started months ago
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:53 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• When i was pregnanat with my little girl the doctor always told me sleep on your right side because if you lay on your back it can cut off air to the baby. I dont know how true that is but i just listened to him !
    txbran

Answer by txbran at 3:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• your supposed to lay on your left side but drs also tell you that if it is comfortable then do it.
    my dr actually only told me that if i lay on my back it will make my hertburn worse.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• The weight of the baby puts pressure on a major vein that runs down next to your spin when you sleep on your back. You can sleep at incline to prevent this, or sleep on your side. You will know when your body says no sleeping on your back. It will back you up in pain, and your legs will feel tingly/numb. Every person is different depending on how large baby is at the time.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 5:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I agree with lasombrs - when you sleep on your back the weight of the baby puts pressure on a major vein that runs down next to your spine. My Dr told me to avoid it due to so many of his past and present patients actually passing out due to that. Also sleeping on your left side helps oxygen to get to your baby more efficiently. As lasombrs said it is different for everyone, and you will usually feel the tingle in your legs first.
    Sonia_Usagi

Answer by Sonia_Usagi at 5:34 PM on Apr. 16, 2009