Sun BURN on Vacation.. PLZ HELP!!

Right now we are in the bahama's on vacation & My 8 yr old daughter is on fire. She's not tanning, she's RED and peeling and bruised. I can't even touch her it hurts so much. Mainly on her face but her shoulders too. We are using banna boat lotion and it's not working, bucket hat, staying in the shade.. ANY other options?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Aloe
    Anonymous

• see if you can find the aloe with a numbing agent in it. Vinegar is also supposed to help take the sting out.
    Anonymous

• Soak yourself in diluted vinegar. "Pour one cup of white cider kitchen vinegar into a tub of tepid water and soak yourself in it," recommends Harry Roth, M.D., clinical professor of dermatology at the University of California, San Francisco. "It's very soothing to your skin and helps relieve the pain of sunburn."

Or try baking soda and cornstarch. Another recipe for relief, also from the kitchen cabinet: Mix 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1/4 cup of cornstarch into a tub of tepid water and soak yourself, adds Dr. Roth.

Heal with oatmeal. If you find the smell of vinegar or milk too intense, you can wrap dry oatmeal in some gauze or cheesecloth and run cool water through it, suggests Dr. Haberman. Wring out the excess water and apply the cloth for 20 minutes every two to four hours.

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/48/199.cfm

Also, sunscreen ingredients is very important in preventing......CONT
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:23 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• sunburn, not just the SPF. You should have a sunscreen whose main ingredient is either Zinc Oxide or Titanium Dioxide, or avobenzone. Those ingredients block more UVA AND UVB rays than any other sunscreen ingredients. California Baby is an excellent brand if you can find it there. Also make sure your sunscreen in PABA free.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:26 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Aloe w/ menthol worked for me in Barbados but the above are good ideas.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Noxema.

Towels soaked in cool water to try to remove some of the burn/temperature. Vinegar will definitely help the burn...but it stings like hell! I wouldn't use that, personally (I will never again!)

No more sun...lotion or not!!

I have two who burn through SPF 50 after being out for 30 minutes.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:29 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• All of the previous posters have good ideas. If she has been on the snow-white sandy beaches, she was burnt three ways. Direct sunlight, of course, the sand acts as a reflector, and so does the water. I lived in Florida for many years. Those burns can be bad. I would consult a doctor there if she is feeling faint or dizzy, rapid pulse or rapid breathing, extreme thirst, no urine output, or sunken eyes, pale, clammy, or cool skin, nausea, fever, chills, or rash, your eyes hurt and are sensitive to light, and severe, painful blisters. According to medlineplus.com, you can mix baking soda with tepid water and dab it on the burn. Check out www.medlineplus.com for more info. I hope your daughter feels better soon.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 6:46 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My boyfriend's dad, when in India, got so burnt he was very very sick. They got him to eat raw red onion and a lot of it. The next day he was fine - not sdick anymore. My brother tried this too and it helped him when he got burnt.

Thats all I can recommend.

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:15 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Find Aloe JUICE - not gel - 100% JUICE - keep cold if possible - put full strength in a spray bottle - and SPRAY her from head to toe - DO NOT RUB - just lightly pat to stop dripping - takes the sting away helps to heal and reduces redness.... ALWAYS take PURE ALOE JUICE when going in the sun - apply frequently... will not make the skin sticky at all - its a skin's life saver - keeping it cold helps to cool the skin and her skin should feel better almost immediately - good luck
    AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 1:00 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My husband has used rags drenched with cold tea to soothe sunburns before. I would also suggest aloe.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:38 PM on Apr. 17, 2009