How do you ladies feel about Daycare?

Are you going/did you put your child in daycare? Why or Why not? What good things have you heard about daycare? what bad things have you heard about daycare?

MrsBlue1

Asked by MrsBlue1 at 2:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• omg my kids love their daycare! But I really like to work and feel like a wilting flower when I have to SAH so it works for both of us :) I'm current unemployed (dammit!) so my daughter goes to school and I'm home with my son, but both have been in daycare (the same one for years) for me to go through school and work. Their daycare is an awesome place, the teachers are really great and I've never had problems with it.

It works for us. Sorry I don't like following kids around with a mop, broom, and vacuum all day, that's not me. My kids like the daycare environment, and I like to work:)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:43 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• If I was an idiot who wanted my child to get sick and learn rude behavior, then yes I would put him in daycare.
    Anonymous

• Why do you think your child would learn bad behaviour? It looks like they will learn that at home by how you are answering a question with a rude answer like that.
    MrsBlue1

Answer by MrsBlue1 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I worked in daycare and when I had my son, I put him in there with me. I liked having him close.

If you have a choice, I'd opt out of daycare. The vast majority of kids that go, are there because their parents work and have no other choice. If they get sick, the parents send them anyways and they end up infecting the rest of the class. It's a never-ending cycle. The behavior issue is big. Each kid comes frmo a different background and each family disciplines differently (if even at all).
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Hmm...as for the sick comment by anon, I personally think being around other kids helps their immunities. My kids were fed a healthy lunch, and they are diligently taught hand-washing. To each their own.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:44 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I guess I'm lucky with the center I send my kids to.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:45 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I didn't want mine in one and didn't put mine in one. I was a SAHM. He went to a two day a week pre-school at age three. That's as close as he got.
    I worked as a daycare teacher when he was in second grade. I worked there for 4 years. If I thought he would have a teacher like I was, then, I might have let him go occasionally. But, you can't always garantee, so, I don't know.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:45 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• wow if you were and idiot and didnt want you kid to be sick thorough kindergarten you would put them in day care... thats just silly. children are very resillant, it helps them build a tolerance and and imune system. I not saying def. put your kid in DC I just think that is a silly reason. for me I did with my daughter and did not with my son mainly because of money reasons and my hubby works 3rd shift so it wasnt nessecary but I will tell you my daughter was much more kindergarten ready then my son is, I think it is your choice based on you or your childs needs.
    kflwrgrl

Answer by kflwrgrl at 2:46 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• i LOVE daycare!

pros- you get some time off, the kids get to play with kids their own age, it's structured, so it's not so hectic for them, the kids get their energy worn out

cons- they learn from other kids, like how to hit, bite, ect my son learned the word "MINE!", they can get sick easier, but at the same time that's good, so their immunity goes up.

i'm assuming you've never dropped the kids off before? i used to be a daycare/preschool teacher, so i know from both sides, the best way to deal with it is to drop the child off, give kisses and hugs, and leave. at least leave the room, so they can't see you. this gives the teachers room to do what they have to do. they'll get used to it and start playing. alot of kids start cying as soon as they see mommy walk in, to make it seem as if they were crying the whole time, and make mommy feel bad. lil' suckers lol.
    Anonymous

• My babies are in daycare because I work. If you choose carefully, daycare can be a postive experince.

FYI Anon - My children do not get sick a lot and they are very polite and well-behaved.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:46 PM on Apr. 16, 2009