Does green snot always mean you're sick?

kiddo has an ear infection in both ears and has been on antibiotics for a week. Now that she's done w/ the antibiotic, her snot turned bright green, is that a sign of infection? She goes to the doc tomorrow, just wonderin what y'all think though

braydynnesmomma

Asked by braydynnesmomma at 2:41 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Tough one. The medical community has come out and said that green and yellow snot does NOT always indicated infection, it can just be old snot and I believe there were a few other things they had listed that it could mean. However me personally and my family, when we get green and yellow going on in there it means sinus infection. So IDK. But if she just finished an antibiotic I would say maybe not.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 2:51 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• No, green and yellow snot does not indicate there's an infection. Many doctors still go by the color of the snot. Chances are your child had a cold which led to the ear infection and now that the ear infection is gone, the cold is still lingering since antibiotics do not cure the common cold.
    Anonymous

• No. musuc can vary in color and not mean an infection.
    Anonymous

• I agree that the color of snot has nothing to do with the severity or existence of an infection. If she just finished an antibiotic, I really wouldn't think she'd have another infection, anyway.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:30 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• No, it doesn't mean an infection.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2009