Do you think it's okay for toddlers to drink chocolate milk?

my daughter drinks it everyday, but her dentist told me she needs to stop drinking chocolate and switch to plain milk. She's 18 months old and her teeth are just fine, so what's the harm?

braydynnesmomma

Asked by braydynnesmomma at 2:45 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you're brushing after, then there should be no problem.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:46 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My son was and still is the same way, his main beverage is chocolate milk.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I would not do it everyday, but occasionally is fine. It may not be hurting her teeth now, but in the long run it could.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 2:48 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I hope there is no ham - thats all my kids drink. They hate white milk so I look at it like, at least they are drinking milk - so what if it is choc. P.S. = their teeth are fine.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 2:49 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Harm - not ham - sorry.lol.
    bristle3kids

• Its better than giving your kids soda. lol.
    Anonymous

• my son has had chocolate, what, once? i don't see the harm in it, but not all the time. i don't give him choc milk not only because his teeth, but mainly because of what bristle3kids said. i don't need him to realize that choc milk is better than white milk and want choc all the time. they don't need sweets all the time. heck, my son barely even gets sweets, such a picky eater that he is!
    Anonymous

• Because sugar is bad for teeth???? Seriously, you can't argue this one. I think it's a bad example to allow your toddler to drink chocolate milk all the time. Everyone's teeth are fine until they aren't, know what I mean? Your dentist is trying to prevent future problems. I doubt that chocolate milk is the only unhealthy thing you're feeding him. Try feeding him something healthy. 18 month olds don't know chocolate milk exists until you give it to them. I guess you'll be posting in a year that you can't figure out why your two year old won't eat vegetables...
    Anonymous

• I agree with the Anon. WTH? Why would your toddler even know about it? It is FULL of SUGAR!!!! And a helluva lot worse than regular for their teeth.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't give it every day. I wouldn't have started it in the first place, not at 18 months. Things like that just make it harder to get kids to drink regular milk. At that age I would think it would be easier to take it away completely, like it no longer exists, than to "try to cut back."
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2009