Umbilical cord...

My baby's umbilical cord just fell off yesterday and he is THREE weeks old. I am so ready to give him a "real" bath. Deep in his belly button there is still a little moist gooey stuff and I am still putting alcohol in it to dry it up but I was just wondering if its ok to start giving him a bath.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was told you could after the cord falls off. If he's 3 weeks, you won't be submerging his tummy anyways. Just be careful wtih it and you should be fine :)
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It should be fine, just make sure to let it air dry well! Some drs say it's fine to start giving full baths from birth, even before the cord stump falls off, so go for it.

Also, I found that the baby whose cord stump I used alcohol on stayed on longer - my next three babies I didn't use any alcohol at all on the umbilicus and it was fine, and fell off within 3-4 days of birth. The alcohol does keep infection away, but can also impede healing. It might be prudent at this point to use less alcohol, and just keep an eye out for any signs of infection instead.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:54 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I would wait for his ped. to give you the ok for a "real" bath. I was very careful with my LO nub and it still re-opened and took another few weeks to heal after it fell off in the fourth week. That is something you don't want to take lightly. If it gets infected it could cause some major damage. I almost had to take my LO to a surgeon. Thankfully it healed well.
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 2:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I'd go for it, I started bathing my little guy while his cord was still on, they showed me how to bathe him in the hospital, said that no bath till the cord comes off is old school. They told me to make sure it was really dry before I dressed him, and no alcohol either. Right before it fell off it did stink a bit, and there was a tiny amount of green left in the belly button, but that washed off in the bath.
    wadesmum

Answer by wadesmum at 4:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2009