Thinking back, is there anything you would have done differently getting your kids ready for kindergarten?

For my daughter, I taught her how to spell her name in all caps, including her last name, and she sort of had a tough time doing caps and lower case :( They do it with caps and lower case in kindergarten, I didn't know that! She was my first child too...I wish I would have instilled that in her.

So for my 2 year old, I only write his name the proper way.

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 3:05 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes, I wish I'd taken my first to a really good Pre K program and not a fun social program. My first was slow to get the pen holding and name writing in K. Now it's all good but my second son is in a great class that teaches writing your name, counting, "word of the day", your phone number and street address, gives them really little homework assignments that he loves. Much better setup.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:23 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• i wish i woulda spent more time on letter-number recognition...ya she knowsd the alphabet and how to count..but she still not to sure on which one goes with what..she knows some letters and some numbers..but the majority, no..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:13 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I did child led learning and I wish I had had a more structured learning environment at home. Not because he didn't do enough academically-actually quit the opposite-the child knows about more things than most kids his age and many adults for that matter due to where is interests lie.

He had a very hard time with not being able to play with magnets when it was reading time and being told he had to draw a picture at a specific time with a specific theme. Kwim? He just could not accept the structure.

To be honest, I think it sucks too but seeing how I can't afford Montessori school I really should have introuduced the lovely world of forced learning to him. It would have made things much easier for him.

If I ever have another child (not happening but if I ever did) I would still do child led learning but would have periods of structured learning thrown in just so it wouldn't be such a shock to the system
    Anonymous