I think my 3 month old son has thrush how do I know for sure?

Kgreever

Asked by Kgreever at 3:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hi, there will be a white film on the toung and or cheeks. I use to work for pediatrician for years. If that is seen they will need medicine to get rid of it.
    jat628

Answer by jat628 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• there is usually only one symptom and that is a white coating on tongue, white patches on cheek.

If your baby has thrush, it may help to:

* Clean bottle nipples and pacifiers regularly using hot water.
    * Clean your nipples with medicine, such as nystatin, if you breast-feed your baby. Breast-feeding mothers and babies can pass a yeast infection back and forth.
    * Dry your nipples and apply lanolin lotion after breast-feeding.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 3:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• and jat is right. the ped. will probably give you an antifungal like nystatin liquid to get rid of it.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 3:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• it's a white filmy patch on the tongue, and sometimes also on the roof of the mouth. if you try to swipe it off, and it doesn't come off, or try to scrap it off, and you get blood, then it's thrush. be careful, if you're breastfeeding, you can get it also. instead of waiting for a doctors appt, go to wal-greens, and get Gentian Violet. yes, it's purple, it does stain, but it gets the thrush away in half the time the meds that the doc will give you. my son had it and it went away within 2-3 days. just make sure you have your baby wear a big bib, or clothes you don't mind getting stained. lol, i got tons of pics with my son and his purple mouth lmao. yes, the purple does go away
    Anonymous