how do you get your baby on a schedule? He is 3 months old and I kind of have him on one but it changes.

Kgreever

Asked by Kgreever at 3:18 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Seriously, it always changes. Just when you get used to one schedule, something changes or he develops or some such thing and then it's different. Wait till baby is a bit older for a reliable schedule.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:23 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I also wondered @ 3 months if things were EVER going to be routine. It took us till she was close to 5 months till things ran routinely. Have patients. Between growth spurts and learning how to sleep on their own and learning moms routine, it takes a little bit for you to learn their routine. (or lack there of. some babies don't do routine! lol) :)
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 3:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Yeah, it is a little early. Just follow his lead. (By that I don't mean don't even try for a schedule... but base your schedule on his normal patterns). If he seems tired for 3 naps a day, be sure to respect those... start soothing him to sleep after he's been up about 2 hours, etc... the naps may not be at predictable times yet, and you should still be feeding on demand. My first was on a really neat schedule around 6 months, but my second is still all over the place at 7 months.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It depends on what you mean by schedule? Babies need consistency, like naptime routines, bedtime routines, etc. But as for timing of bottles and naps, it can change day to day or week to week. I kind of went by my daughter's cues of when she was hungry or tired and went from there. Bedtime was always the same time though, that never changed from the time she was 5 wks old to just about a month ago she started going down about a half hour later at 11mo. And again, it was because we followed her cues that she wasn't ready to go to bed at the old time. And yes, as soon as you get used to one, it will change! Teething, sickness, learning something new--they all throw a wrench into a schedule. It's easiest just to go with the flow.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Yeah, mkemom519 said the words I was looking for... it's not too early for routine, but it may be too early for totally predictable times/schedule. And routine is how you get the schedule to work in the long run.

EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:37 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• It always changes. "Flexible routine" is the name of the game!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:40 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• at 3 m/o, dont worry about a schedule, but more of a routine. like at night give a bath (not necessary for every single night of course), read a short rhyming story or sing a lullaby then lay him in the crib. routines create security and a comfort zone for babies! schedules are more for the same time everyday, and babies can be so unpredictable!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:19 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• My son is almost three months and during the day he isn't on a schedule but around 8:30-9pm i put him in the bath tub then massage with lotion, read him a book then wrap him in a blanket and feed him then he usually is asleep or almost there and i put him in his basinet and he falls right to sleep and sleeps through the night and wakes up about 6:30-7 to eat. so he is on a schedule at night but days are pretty hard they always change too. but my mom gave me good advice do the SAME thing every night so they know its night time, don't change a thing about your routine.
    MoMmYtObEtO1

Answer by MoMmYtObEtO1 at 4:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• it's hard to get a baby on a schedule. The only way to do it is to get a pad of paper. Write down his feeding times, nap times, etc. For a week. After this you can see around what times he does what, and make a schedule that will fit him and you. But remember, all schedules with babies are subject to change, lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:57 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• KEEPING the same schedule will never happen it seems. when my d was 3 months we had a schedule set.....then just about a week and a half ago.....she turned 4 months and her schedule changed completely. We were on her dads sched. for work which was a VERY LATE bedtime (3 am) Then just out of the blue she went to bed at 10pm.....and has been ever since. So i am wondering what will be next....Good Luck!
    Anonymous