• In the Spotlight:

What to do with a clumsy 2 yr old and a new baby?

Im a step parent to 3 kids. A 7 year old girl, a 6 year old girl, and a 2 almost 3 year old boy and I just brought home a new baby. My 2 yr old is very excited about the new baby but he is so rough with her. When he trys to kiss her he puts his hand on her soft spot to keep him self balanced. I finally let my guard down the other day and I heard her cry and I found a chair by her bed and she was on her stomach. Ive tried asking him to be easy but he doesnt understand. Is there anything I can do?

AdysMama09

Asked by AdysMama09 at 3:19 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• have him hold her while sitting down and you right next to them, holding her head. explain to him that he needs to be gentle, show him how. at that age, they don't understand that babies can't play like them, they have to be shown and taught. and babies are that fragile, my son decided to pull my dd off the couch when she was 4 months old. just her screaming and crying, and my freaking out was punishment enough for him, he started crying cuz he knew he did something wrong. she's fine though.
    Anonymous

• You just have to teach him what he's doing wrong. Explain where and how he shouldn't touch the baby every time. Always be watchful and supervise the baby at all times. My son and baby are exactly two years apart. I have 6 kids and they are all close together. It takes time but it will be fine as long as you are patient and watch the little one with the baby carefully.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• i have a 2 year old and a 7 month old. 2 year olds are just rough. I can't leave the kids together wither. When you get an answer, let me know!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 6:49 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• No he is being who he is... a 2 yr old. The only thing that will help is time. In the meantime you will just have to watch every second he is around the new baby. Help him hold her etc, but always be with him if the baby is near.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:45 AM on Apr. 17, 2009