Brother & Sister have lost their minds. Do i still have to talk to them?

And when i say they lost it i mean litterally. My brother keeps on getting kicked out of school (for his masters in art) for having episodes at school. He a genius of course, the insane ones always are. He believes that woman are lesser than men, & that we're stupid & he is not shy to admit it. He has been to an insane asylum in Japan for choking a woman on campus, it took 7 cops to get him down becuase he is so good at matial arts. My sister is PARANOID. She litterally thinks the whole world is out to get her, and if i dis-aggree with her, she gets violoent. she was also abusive towards me my whole childhood. I can't be around either of them. They treat my mom like a dog, & both have been violent with her. I choose to not talk to either of them, but sometimes, when they are trying to contact me, I feel guilty. But, whenever i let either of them in my life, they go nuts & try to ruin MY life. Is it ok to cut them off?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• If they were just acquaintances of yours, you wouldn't hesitate to cut them off, would you?

I assume you have children since you're on CafeMom. Don't put their lives in jeopardy by allowing these people to even know where you live!

Blood isn't always thicker than water.

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 3:33 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• i would maybe not permanently, just until they get help. but for now when they act like that, ya i'd cut them outta my life
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't want to talk to them.If they want to talk to you let them call you.and set boundries with them on what you are willing to talk about.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 3:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Thank you mama's! People have told me that blood is thicker than water,& that family is family regardless. But, they seem harmful to be around. So, thank you. I feel less guilty about my decision.
    Anonymous

• I have to say that it is ok. I have a sister that was diagnosed with schizophrenia, though that may not be correct. She will never, ever be around my kids again. She has told people that I am her daughter, she told my neice that her brother (my nephew) died of a broken heart because their mom stole them from her. She told her that they were HER children. I prefer not to talk with her, but my mom has 'tricked' me into it. More that she put me on the spot, where I couldn't say no without causing a scene. So, if you don't want a relationship with them, don't feel that you have to have one.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I would cut them out, for now at least. People with mental illness can lead fairly normal lives with the right medication and treatment. My BIL is getting out of prison soon and I am going to allow him to see my kids, but only with someone with him/them. Once I know that he can handle his disorder, I will have no problem letting them stay with him. Of course, my brother-in-law isn't schizo, so his bi-polar isn't to bad.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• yes it is ok to protect your sanity and cut them off. It's your life. Make choices that are right for you

Answer by admckenzie at 4:48 PM on Apr. 16, 2009