breast and bottle feeding

I started off breast and bottle feeding then i for about 3 to 4 weeks i had to stop.My milk hasn't dried up but now it comes out very slow and she'll latch on but then get mad when the milk doesn't come out fast enough. so my questions are:
1. how do i get her to want my breast again?
2. how to get the milk to come out faster?

firsttymemom09

Asked by firsttymemom09 at 3:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pump, Pump Pump. This should help increase the flow. Also do stop trying to get her to nurse. Nothing is more efficient than a baby at nursing. Also check out Kellymom.com
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 4:00 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• You have to keep doing it to get the supply back up. Talk to your doctor about the pills to increase the milk. As for the flow well it depends on how hard she sucks you can't control it. Try massaging your breasts while she eats to increase the circulation. Bottle nipples always flow faster. My sister had the same problem with my niece due to her working while breast feeding and my niece ended up not wanting it, she would latch on and get mad because the flow was so slow. So either stop the bottle all together or try to increase the supply with increased feeding or pumping and massage.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• they have some vitamins that you can take to make your milk flow come in alot..
    drink lots of milk and water...youll get tons of milk in
    Anonymous

• The best way to get your supply up is nurse, nurse, nurse. Lots of skin to skin contact will help to stimulate the hormones, and letting her suckle as much as she wants will get the supply up more effectively than anything else. The more she nurses, the more your body will make; pumping and expression do not indicate how much supply you have at all (that's a common misconception.) You can also try fenugreek or Mother's Milk tea, they are pretty effective at increasing supply.
    The issue is, she's now used to how fast milk comes from a bottle - it pours from the nipple with very little effort on her part. This is why babies who are given both breast and bottle before breastfeeding is well established often have nipple confusion, and may refuse the mother's breast. Here is an article on it and what you can do about it! Good luck!

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:23 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Your going to have to stop giving her bottles. Nurse your baby for as long as she wants, then pump for ten minutes on each side. Pump this much every single time she nurses!(You can stop as soon as your supply is back up and your back to exclusive breastfeeding).

If she isnt satisfied from just your breast, feed her your expressed milk or formula from a dropper. Just squirt it in her cheek so she's not using her sucking reflex. Dont let her have binkys either, let yourself be the pacifier for a couple months until she's perfected latching/nursing. Dont let her suck on anything besides the breast. You can do this mama! Dont give up :)

Feel free to PM me with questions or just for support and encouragement.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 6:59 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Oh, and avoid scheduled feedings. Nurse her every time she shows hunger cues or, cue-feed. Scheduling feedings in a baby can very potentially cause failure to thrive and/or dehydration(happened to me).
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 7:00 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Nurse on demand, pump and invest in a supplemental nursing system instead of bottles to get that supply back up.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:29 PM on Apr. 16, 2009