Were you asked to donate your baby's umbilical cord @ the hospital?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wasnt asked but was given information on it ... and we did it . it went to a central bank for anyone cause we didnt have the money for private. plus the blood isnt usually useful for the baby that it comes from it is useful for siblings etc. however if for some reason we need somthing like that the cord blood bank will check the sample and see if it matches and is useful then we can get it back if it would be useful.... then you have to pay but i figured it could help someone one day ... yopu have a bunch of medical questions to answer though so you have to decide early on hope that helped
    atowne

Answer by atowne at 5:08 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• No.
    MoMmYtObEtO1

Answer by MoMmYtObEtO1 at 4:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• No. Most of the time you have to bring the kit if you want to save it. If your planning on it discuss it with your doctor. Mine threw it all in a red bag in the trash after it was looked at.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• No but I havent had my baby yet. What is that all about. And what is this blood cord bank stuff about?
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 4:20 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• no but I would have! there are no donation centers nearby and we couldnt afford to save it in a bank.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Anonymous

• No.

I have mixed feelings about that. I can't save my son's cord to use for HIM if HE is ever sick (and it's his friggin cord) because I can't afford to do so. However, if some other kid is sick, they'll get it (or the bennefits of whatever they use it for, research etc.) instead of my son because I donated it lol.

It irritates me that it seems like a luxury to be able to save it. They can't yet make the cells multiply so there's very little blood to be used in the first place if your child ever did need it. There's a limitted amount of illnesses you can use it for (and little chance that your kid would ever have any of them) and it costs an arm and a leg (well, to me it seems like) to do when the money could be used for things that have more probability of occuring (i.e. first car and college). If it's so wonderful and something everyone SHOULD do, make it so everyone CAN do it.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• If my hospital had a program for donation, I probably would have donated it though. No sense it in going to waste just because I can't afford to save it indefinitely.
    NovemberLove

• I agree with November. I would have donated it if they had asked because I can't afford to bank it myself. If I could afford it, I would have done it.

natalieg

Answer by natalieg at 4:49 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• Anonymous