• In the Spotlight:

Does anyone know about wide based gait?

My 18 mo old has always looked bow legged, now his feet are turning in and he is falling alot, the doc calls it wide-broad based gait,and now we are going to childrens hosp. in Detroit. I can`t find anything on the internet about it, if you have info of any kind please share!

loveeeyore

Asked by loveeeyore at 4:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Maybe you can look up bow legged on the internet. Try the Detroit Childrens Hospital website, there may be info on there. Wish I could help you more, hope all works out for your baby and you.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:57 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• It could be femoral anteversion--femoral referring to the femur (thigh bone) and anteversion is a torsion deformity where the bone is twisted inward toward the midline. It could also be tibial torsion (the shin bone is twisted). Does your LO W-sit? This is very common in kids with femoral anteversion.
    I had severe femoral anteversion. I had hip dysplasia, too (caused the anteversion).
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 12:33 AM on May. 5, 2009